• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

So what do you invest in for the future now?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by CretinWatcher View Post
    Hmmm interesting, didn't know I had those sort of options with a SIPP - never had much truck with pensions.
    Will look into into investing that more actively.
    Still think property is best - Portugal and Spain have bargains, Greece is at rock bottom. And whatever happens in those places you'll always have sun and vino .
    How to invest in commercial property via your pension - Telegraph
    What happens in General, stays in General.
    You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

Hmmm interesting, didn't know I had those sort of options with a SIPP - never had much truck with pensions.
      Will look into into investing that more actively.
      Still think property is best - Portugal and Spain have bargains, Greece is at rock bottom. And whatever happens in those places you'll always have the sun and vino they've had for centuries.
      The cost of EU properties are technically 20% more expensive now then 3 months ago. If you invest now, you risk losing out if the pound rises against the Euro in the short to mid term.

Comment

Don't think I'd touch UK commercial property with a bargepole now ...

Comment

Don't think I'd touch UK commercial property with a bargepole now ...
          As mentioned, if you know the high street and your area, you'll know what is a good return. As I still plan to have shops in the future, makes sense for me.

Comment

Originally posted by MarillionFan View Post
            The cost of EU properties are technically 20% more expensive now then 3 months ago. If you invest now, you risk losing out if the pound rises against the Euro in the short to mid term.
            I have some funds which I moved out of sterling in March as I knew that the number of cretins had increased sharply since the 80s.

Comment

Don't know about your pension, but with the QE and rise in the market mine is at an all time high, having gone up by 30k in the last 8 weeks alone.
              Blood pressure?

Comment

I must admit I've been wondering what to do with funds too. Most of mine is still in the Ltd Co and awaiting my 'retirement' next year sometime (I'm guessing). Once it's out I might just pay off most of the BTL loans and live off the rental income, which will hopefully be enough to sustain the wife/kids and a reasonable lifestyle.

Or I might invest it elsewhere, but as yet I have no idea.

I've always wondered about lump sum into a pension - I don't have one yet - but even if I lumped in 300k I wouldn't get much from that on an annuity when I hit 55 in 10 years' time.

For some reason I have this horrible nagging feeling that all assets/cash I've worked for is about to collapse into a worthless heap. So as some of you say, it's probably best to spend it while you can.

Comment

Originally posted by ChimpMaster View Post

For some reason I have this horrible nagging feeling that all assets/cash I've worked for is about to collapse into a worthless heap. .
                  It's what happens when cretins vote to turn a country into a banana republic because they're poor at maths, lack analytical skills, have poor judgement and mistakenly thought they could go back to the days of Empire

Comment

AssCretin really doesn't have a clue. He buys in Portugal when the pound is 20% weaker, whilst a banking crisis is simmering in Europe.

No wonder he still lives in Croydon in a 2 up 2 down.

Comment

Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post
                      AssCretin really doesn't have a clue. He buys in Portugal when the pound is 20% weaker, whilst a banking crisis is simmering in Europe.

No wonder he still lives in Croydon in a 2 up 2 down.
                      I don't care if Europe goes tits up, its not going to change the weather, good wine and easy lifestyle which have existed for centuries.
                      Enjoy your impoverished retirement in grey miserable Slough where you'll have to wear a nappy when you're old as there'll be no immigrants to clean your bum.

Comment

Working...
                      X