• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

[Merged]Brexit stuff

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
Collapse
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I have another question.

Regarding tariffs. What do I currently buy from outside of the EU that has tariffs placed on it by either the EU, the UK itself, or the exporting country?

Is there anything in the shops that we regularly consume that costs more to us as end consumers because the supplier is outside of the EU and outside of any existing EU trade agreement?

For example have we been paying more for Maple Syrup from Canada? Will Maple syrup cost less once CETA is signed?

Australian wine? Does that have a tariff on it? Or are they just levelled on big-ticket items such as cars or raw-material such as steel?

.... and a supplementary question : Who collects the tariffs?

Comment

Originally posted by GB9 View Post
      So we had one muppet on earlier stating we hadn't lost sovereignty. And now we have a different muppet telling us we can't negotiate because it's illegal.

Tell someone who cares.
      Didn't you read the EU's rules ?

No negotiation until you've left.

We're still in the EU.....
      I'm alright Jack

Comment

Originally posted by tomtomagain View Post
        I have another question.

Regarding tariffs. What do I currently buy from outside of the EU that has tariffs placed on it by either the EU, the UK itself, or the exporting country?

Is there anything in the shops that we regularly consume that costs more to us as end consumers because the supplier is outside of the EU and outside of any existing EU trade agreement?

For example have we been paying more for Maple Syrup from Canada? Will Maple syrup cost less once CETA is signed?

Australian wine? Does that have a tariff on it? Or are they just levelled on big-ticket items such as cars or raw-material such as steel?

.... and a supplementary question : Who collects the tariffs?
        The tariffs are miniscule and won’t make one penny difference in the retail shops. However, the drop in the pound because of Brexit will push up prices.
        "A people that elect corrupt politicians, imposters, thieves and traitors are not victims, but accomplices," George Orwell

Comment

And on this the UK's whole future balances; I don't think I come across a Brexiter yet who has any understanding of what it entails and how much of a disaster the whole thing will be. I really hope it won't be, but....

It was just a triumph for contrariness over the status quo, leaving the wife for the slim chance of copping a fit bird when the grim reality is a two bar electric fire and a copy of Razzle...

Comment

Originally posted by stek View Post
            And on this the UK's whole future balances; I don't think I come across a Brexiter yet who has any understanding of what it entails and how much of a disaster the whole thing will be. I really hope it won't be, but....

It was just a triumph for contrariness over the status quo, leaving the wife for the slim chance of copping a fit bird when the grim reality is a two bar electric fire and a copy of Razzle...
            The Chunt of Chunts.

Comment

In the final analysis, only spineless losers would want to be a member of any organisation that threatens them with punitive and draconian punishments should they decide to leave.
              That fact alone tells you all you need to know about the failed experiment.
              I have a spine, and so, thankfully, do the majority of my fellow countrymen and women.
              Maybe a few people on here need to take a check?

“The period of the disintegration of the European Union has begun. And the first vessel to have departed is Britain”

Comment

Originally posted by Paddy View Post
                The tariffs are miniscule and won’t make one penny difference in the retail shops. However, the drop in the pound because of Brexit will push up prices.
                OK. So the tariffs are irrelevant to the average consumer. But I would really like to know what is costing me more because of EU applied tariffs - then I could make an informed decision about whether I want to purchase the item.

Obviously the depreciation in sterling helps exporters but hurts consumers/importers. I can live with that. Rebalancing of the UK economy from consumption to production is way overdue.

The moral of the story is : If you want to thrive in post-BREXIT Britain don't be a whiner be a maker and not a consumer.

Comment

Originally posted by tomtomagain View Post
                  OK.
                  The moral of the story is : If you want to thrive in post-BREXIT Britain don't be a whiner be a maker and not a consumer.
                  Good luck convincing the bed-wetting chicken lickens on here of that!
                  I get up...

Comment

Originally posted by BlasterBates View Post
                    Didn't you read the EU's rules ?

No negotiation until you've left.

We're still in the EU.....
                    oooooooohhhhh rules! let us not offend the EU
                    Let us not forget EU open doors immigration benefits IT contractors more than anyone

Comment

Originally posted by WTFH View Post
                      It's too much for you to understand, isn't it?

We're still in the EU. (For at least 3 more years)
                      We still have free trade with the EU.
                      The laws that our elected officials voted for mean that no country within the EU can negotiate trade deals on its own.
                      Our own elected people vote for that. Not some unelected civil servants in Whitehall.

There's even a helpful document on the europa.eu website detailing how trade negotiations are carried out.
                      There is little the EU can do if we start talking to other countries. I know what people like you want to do which is to impose rules that make it more difficult for Brexit to happen.
                      Let us not forget EU open doors immigration benefits IT contractors more than anyone

Comment

Working...
                      X