• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

[Merged]Brexit stuff

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
Collapse
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by tomtomagain View Post
    That's because the job cuts are more likely in Germany than the UK.
    "The Detroit-based car maker will decide in the coming months whether to continue making Vauxhall Astras at Ellesmere Port in Cheshire. Vauxhall employs 4,500 people in total at its Ellesmere and Luton plants and its head office."

Cheshire is now in Germany? When did that happen...
    "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by MrMarkyMark View Post
      He doesn't actually read anything he posts links to

I know ... but I thought he might have at least got to this bit:

GM has already cut working hours at German factories making Vauxhall Corsa hatchbacks and Insignia saloons, for which the UK is the biggest market.
      Although to fair it is a typical "remoaner" article. Tells the reader that cuts are coming, mentions the number of employees in the UK. Fails to mention the total number of employees across Europe or indicate where the cuts are likely.

It's funny how the "remain" camp will focus on any negative UK news, ignore anything positive and totally dismiss the idea of an impact on Europe too.

Comment

Originally posted by scooterscot View Post
        "The Detroit-based car maker will decide in the coming months whether to continue making Vauxhall Astras at Ellesmere Port in Cheshire. Vauxhall employs 4,500 people in total at its Ellesmere and Luton plants and its head office."

So, no real news or decision made at all.

Just something scrawled on a fag packet somewhere
        The Chunt of Chunts.

Comment

So? It's posturing. Nissan got some assurances. They want them too. Cuts have already started in Germany ( although to be fair it's almost certainly nothing to do with Brexit ).

Let's forget all about this for now and resume the discussion in say 12 months time. When there are some actual "facts".

Comment

Although to fair it is a typical "remoaner" article. Tells the reader that cuts are coming, mentions the number of employees in the UK. Fails to mention the total number of employees across Europe or indicate where the cuts are likely.
            Germany is an exporter. Not a importer of American tat. You really think Vauxhall can compete with the likes of BMW, Mercedes, VW, Audi, Porsche? Sod all to do with Brexit, everything to do with the crashing pound.
            "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

Comment

Let's forget all about this for now and resume the discussion in say 12 months time. When there are some actual "facts".
              Are you mad? Brexit + US Presidential Election = most fun news-wise since the Financial Crash

We need more rumour and speculation with a good healthy dose of talking the economy up!

Comment

Germany is an exporter. Not a importer of American tat. You really think Vauxhall can compete with the likes of BMW, Mercedes, VW, Audi, Porsche? Sod all to do with Brexit, everything to do with the crashing pound.
                Now you are just deflecting.

Different car companies target different market segments.

Not everyone wants or aspires to driving a high-quality car. Me for example. I drive a Zafira. I had my last one for 10 years until it fell to bits and the current one for 1 year so far ( 9 more years of ownership to go ).

I find cars very, very dull and although I could afford the cars mentioned above, I never will buy one. If for some reason I did wake up one day and decide to splurge 80k on a car I'd go for a Tesla. And then at least I wouldn't have to drive. Because that is a tedious activity I could do without too.

.... anyway where was I? Oh yes. Your definition of "tat" is my definition of a practical, cheap, family runaround.

Comment

Originally posted by Old Greg View Post
                  Are you mad? Brexit + US Presidential Election = most fun news-wise since the Financial Crash

We need more rumour and speculation with a good healthy dose of talking the economy up!
                  And to add, Just as we thought we had the biggest twat and c**t team in Government with Blair and Brown; along comes Cameron & Co, followed Mrs Clueless Baldric. The cat at number 10 would make a better PM!
                  "A people that elect corrupt politicians, imposters, thieves and traitors are not victims, but accomplices," George Orwell

Comment

Hmm, it seems our little band of non-uk bremoaners are still unable to get our economy to fail. Fail dammit, they won't be happy until it does!
                    I get up...

Comment

Originally posted by Paddy View Post
                      And to add, Just as we thought we had the biggest twat and c**t team in Government with Blair and Brown; along comes Cameron & Co, followed Mrs Clueless Baldric. The cat at number 10 would make a better PM!
                      Wetherspoons just opened has it?
                      I get up...

Comment

Working...
                      X