• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

[Merged]Brexit stuff

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
Collapse
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by scooterscot View Post

Brexit plunges UK economy to worst level since 2009, data suggests - BBC News

"Britain's decision to leave the EU has led to a "dramatic deterioration" in economic activity, not seen since the aftermath of the financial crisis.
    Data from Markit's Purchasing Manager's Index, or PMI, shows a fall to 47.7 in July, the lowest level since April in 2009. A reading below 50 indicates contraction. ...
    The BBC, and all the other sad Remainers, are desperate to put the worst possible light on the result.

Those figures cover the month or so of uncertainty, so no wonder they were (not are, were) down a bit until the dust settled.
    Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

Comment

Ah, Neil Wilson, the guy that two days ago said we could be talking ourselves into a recession.
      The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world that he didn't exist

Comment

Originally posted by FatLazyContractor View Post

Stop bedwetting. It will all be fine.

Regards,
        Brexiters (who are looking to run away to Europe soon)
        Originally posted by OwlHoot View Post
        The BBC, and all the other sad Remainers, are desperate to put the worst possible light on the result.

Those figures cover the month or so of uncertainty, so no wonder they were (not are, were) down a bit until the dust settled.

Comment

Looks pretty dire and article 50 hasn't even been triggered yet and it
          looks like Brexit negotiations will hit a brick wall:

Brexit Wreaks Havoc on U.K. Economy as Recession Risk Rises - Bloomberg

The negotiations won't be helped by the fact that as the UK economy falls of a cliff the EU looks quite bright.

While Britain appears to be shrinking, France’s economy was quite resilient and German private sector growth hit its highest level of the year
          https://www.theguardian.com/business...ts-direct-live

Today has shown a stark contrast between Eurozone and UK economic fortunes in the wake of the EU referendum, with the negative impact felt after the vote largely isolated to the UK.

There is perhaps a feeling amongst the likes of France and German that the vote is a case of the UK shooting itself in the foot, with a significant amount of business expected to leave the UK in favour of Frankfurt, Paris and Dublin.

There is no surprise that the eurozone services PMI readings have shown particular strength, with the French services sector taking on extra staff to the greatest extent since 2008 as UK based firms look to become less London centric.
          Oh dear....
          Last edited by BlasterBates; 22 July 2016, 09:45.
          I'm alright Jack

Comment

Yes, but why has France's economy been so dire in recent years? Why is Italy's economy so poor? Let's not mention Greece. The EU is clearly not an answer to anything. Unless you are Germany of course.

Of course perceptions can cause quite severe short term effects, it's not the short term we should be too bothered about.
            bloggoth

If everything isn't black and white, I say, 'Why the hell not?'
            John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

Comment

Originally posted by xoggoth View Post
              it's not the short term we should be too bothered about.
              In the long run, we are all dead.

Comment

Originally posted by OwlHoot View Post

When the dust settles, the U.K. Economy will have shrunk permanently and the unemployment rate will have doubled, or worse.
                Only the most retarded idiots could have expected otherwise.

Comment

Calm down everyone. It's only experts saying this. We all know experts are the last people that should be listened to.
                  Will work inside IR35. Or for food.

Comment

Originally posted by VectraMan View Post
                    Calm down everyone. It's only experts saying this. We all know experts are the last people that should be listened to.
                    Actually it's a survey of business people which has been very predictive of actual conditions
                    Last edited by CretinWatcher; 22 July 2016, 10:00.

Comment

Where's the 'Yawn' emoticon I requested?

I sure as hell haven't seen any slow down. And I have an interview on Monday for a contract to start in mid-September. I still have 8 weeks left on the current one.

Our economy has vastly outperformed the EU zone for the last few years as you all well know so the EU is playing catch up.

Still, makes a few Bemoaners happy in their overseas BTLs.

Comment

Working...
                      X