• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Car parking Penalty in Italy

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Update ...

Paid it in full after calling the Italian feckers to cross check their bank details.

Got an early bird discount for paying within 5 days of receipt, so wiped my arse with 70 Euros.

Accountant gave me a hug and offered a shag, but I politely declined the latter.

Comment

FTFY

Originally posted by FatLazyContractor View Post
      Accountant gave me a hug, I then made a total embarrassment of myself and had to leave as fast as my legs could carry me
      The Chunt of Chunts.

Comment

Originally posted by MrMarkyMark View Post
        FTFY
        Three legs make you run faster than two, apparently.

Comment

Originally posted by FatLazyContractor View Post
          Well, as it happens, I've received this Notice from Italian Police through post that I exceeded the free parking time by 3 minutes and that I should pay a penalty of 82 Euros

It being a company car hired purely for the purpose of business, what is my position on putting it through my company?

Comment

Originally posted by darmstadt View Post
            Hmmm, I've been fined for speeding once in Holland and I've twice got done for the London Congestion charge. All times they managed to trace me via my German plates to my home address. There is a company that works on behalf of various authorities in various countries to do just that. Be careful...
            The companies may be able to track you down, but that doesn't mean the charge is enforceable. I'm fairly sure the UK isn't party to the intra-country agreements.
            Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post
              The companies may be able to track you down, but that doesn't mean the charge is enforceable. I'm fairly sure the UK isn't party to the intra-country agreements.
              I think Parking Fines and Speeding Fines are pretty much separate. A speeding fine just like in the UK is enforced by the Police hence why they do track you down, it is a criminal offence. Parking Fines aren't criminal offences as far as I know but please correct me. I would have just ignored it.

On a separate note since all these EU cars are on UK roads, the UK should start charging some kind of toll charges and what not since they pay no road tax, no penalty charges, probably get away with speeding fines too. From what I remember most other countries have road charges either as toll charges or actual tickets you buy in petrol station after crossing the borders to allow you to use their roads. If you get stopped by the Police and you don't present it you in trouble.
              Last edited by Drei; 17 June 2016, 17:02.

Comment

Originally posted by Drei View Post
                I think Parking Fines and Speeding Fines are pretty much separate. A speeding fine just like in the UK is enforced by the Police hence why they do track you down, it is a criminal offence. Parking Fines aren't criminal offences as far as I know but please correct me. I would have just ignored it.
                I refer you to the G4S case I mentioned before - their parking fines were issued by councils, and are therefore as a result of illegal action.

I'm not sure whether I would have paid the fine or not, but if I had paid it, it wouldn't be something that the company can put through the business without incurring a benefit in kind charge.

Comment

Originally posted by missinggreenfields View Post
                  I refer you to the G4S case I mentioned before - their parking fines were issued by councils, and are therefore as a result of illegal action.

I'm not sure whether I would have paid the fine or not, but if I had paid it, it wouldn't be something that the company can put through the business without incurring a benefit in kind charge.
                  Sorry I meant yes it isn't a legit business expense but I would also ignore it since it isn't enforced by the Police so it still is a private matter between you and the council or parking firm. Like I said criminal offence vs not.

Thing is the hiring company was the one that got the fine, in return they provided your details, you could just say it wasn't me driving at the time... and provide other details.
                  Rental companies may keep your CC details and may pay the fine and take it from your card.
                  http://www.parkingcowboys.co.uk/comp...ase-hire-cars/

The parking fine is a contractual issue between you and the rental company. The rental company would be the one chasing you up in the end. Would that matter? Probably if they have your personal details and have a UK branch and can pass that debt on to them so they can take you to court but the contract was abroad... would that stand in a UK court?

Easy 70 Euros for them I say
                  Last edited by Drei; 17 June 2016, 17:30.

Comment

Originally posted by Platypus View Post
                    Not allowable. I asked my accountant about putting a (very substantial) fine for speeding through the books, as I was on a business trip. The answer was a categoric "no".
                    I've always understood parking/speeding *fines* to be not allowable but missinggreenfields raises an interesting point. If you receive a "fine" from a private parking company, its not a fine at all as you haven't committed any offence. They aren't anything more than an invoice for parking charges (some might say speculative but you can't just ignore them anymore).

If you'd paid for the parking up front for a business trip, it would be an allowable expense (at least for corporation tax purposes), so how is being billed after the fact (regardless of how it came about) any different?

As to whether or not its treated as a BIK or earnings would depend on whether or not you consider the parking charge to have been incurred "wholly, exclusively and necessarily" for business purposes. If the parking was for business then I guess it meets the first two but possibly not the last one.

Personally I'd go along with ASB's approach, stick it through and claim ignorance later.
                    Last edited by TheCyclingProgrammer; 17 June 2016, 17:27.

Comment

Originally posted by Drei View Post
                      Sorry I meant yes it isn't a legit business expense but I would also ignore it since it isn't enforced by the Police so it still is a private matter between you and the council or parking firm. Like I said criminal offence vs not.
                      I wish it wasn't, but it is indeed from the Police.

Comment

Working...
                      X