• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Moving to Canada

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by psychocandy View Post
    He tells me a lot of the people he worked with did not like the "English" coming over and taking their jobs. They also had a thing for English being lazy.

To be honest, he was more upset about being called English.
    I guess he instilled into you why racism is wrong.

I've had similar when working abroad and have friends, not the lot who moved to Canada, who had the same in Scotland.
    "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
      How odd my friends who have emigrated there say people are very friendly just like they are in Scotland.
      How odd indeed. Scots, famous the world over for being the friendliest people in the world, and whose contributions to civilisation include:
      Producing the foulest tasting whisky known to mankind. Even the Americans can manage to produce something drinkable.
      National dish? A stuffed sheeps stomach with a deep fried mars bar chaser. Even North Korea can do better than that (only just, mind).
      The closest a Jock will ever get to being romantic is to give you a Glasgow Kiss.
      His heart is in the right place - shame we can't say the same about his brain...

Comment

You need to remind yourself just how vast Canada is, you can't generalise its weather except to say that it's more varied than ours is. Chap I know who lives fairly near Niagra (like only a few hours drive away!) gets something like +30 in the summer and -30 in the winter as extremes, but you'd be better looking up climate data for individual cities and comparing them to England I suggest.
        Originally posted by MaryPoppins
        I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
        Originally posted by vetran
        Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

When I was an accountant, one of our Canadian subsidiaries 'lost' a company car, couldn't find it so we wrote it off (accounting-wise), presumed stolen. They were bought back then, no leases.

Three months later after the snow melted they found it in the corner of the car park.

extreme weather dot com.

Comment

Originally posted by Mordac View Post
            How odd indeed. Scots, famous the world over for being the friendliest people in the world, and whose contributions to civilisation include:
            Producing the foulest tasting whisky known to mankind. Even the Americans can manage to produce something drinkable.
            National dish? A stuffed sheeps stomach with a deep fried mars bar chaser. Even North Korea can do better than that (only just, mind).
            The closest a Jock will ever get to being romantic is to give you a Glasgow Kiss.
            What's your problem with the Scottish? There as varied as Londoners so some are w***** and some are lovely.

Also there is some nice Scottish whisky out there and at least their national dish isn't shark fermented in a hole in the ground.

Comment

What's your problem with the Scottish?
              Might well have quite a lot to do with the fact that I'm English, and for the avoidance of doubt, the English generally don't have much of a problem with the Scots (not since Culloden anyway) but try spending a night out in Glasgow sporting anything vaguely resembling an English accent, and you will deffo find yourself in A&E. Fortunately, it's conveniently located next to the morgue.
              His heart is in the right place - shame we can't say the same about his brain...

Comment

Originally posted by Mordac View Post
                Might well have quite a lot to do with the fact that I'm English, and for the avoidance of doubt, the English generally don't have much of a problem with the Scots (not since Culloden anyway) but try spending a night out in Glasgow sporting anything vaguely resembling an English accent, and you will deffo find yourself in A&E. Fortunately, it's conveniently located next to the morgue.
                You clearly missed my previous posts.

Oh and the last anti-Scottish thread was locked.

Comment

You clearly missed my previous posts.
                  Quite possibly, but I do remember what the tartan horde inflicted upon Wembley in 77. Several million pounds of improvements, iirc.

Comment

Originally posted by missinggreenfields View Post
                    Nova Scotia was hot and sunny last summer when I was there. But I can't see there being many IT contracting roles on the island.
                    Not unless a lot of WFH is involved!

The Population of NS is ageing and in decline so some very very cheap houses though.
                    I often day dream of a lake/shore side holiday property whilst browsing on this real estate site:

https://www.tradewindsrealty.com/

A UK citizen can live in Canada 6 months a year without visas but retiring there is not so easy.
                    UK state pensions paid to permanent ex pats in Canada are not index linked.
                    NS has a maritime climate with a tad more snow than over here so 6 months is probably ideal
                    So now I am worried, am I being deceived, just how much sugar is really in a spoon full!

Comment

I've been out in Glasgow for drinks and it was no worse than any big English city for menace.

The most frightening place I've been is Swansea on a night out.. .

Comment

Working...
                      X