• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

couple struggling with 200k pa

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by scooterscot View Post
    They could buy a home in Edinburgh for half that and still have a fist full of public schools to choose from.
    Just like a few years ago it was possible to do the same in the West country BUT you still have a massive mortgage by normal peoples standards and the grand a month that you didn't spend on the London house is now spent on train fares and or renting a room to stay away.

I think we are all aware that living in the UK is a mugs game.

Comment

Originally posted by bobspud View Post
      Just like a few years ago it was possible to do the same in the West country BUT you still have a massive mortgage by normal peoples standards and the grand a month that you didn't spend on the London house is now spent on train fares and or renting a room to stay away.

I think we are all aware that living in the UK is a mugs game.
      There are still a few spots in the UK where a decent life can be had for normal money.

Comment

Originally posted by Old Greg View Post
        If that's your idea of life, then great, I'm happy for you! Now run along back to your battery hen life.
        My hen cage comes with 3000 sq foot and two nice cars out the front with plenty of disposable income thanks so I'm quite happy. But getting there has taken 10 years and the realisation that I won't get a retirement because regardless of what I invest the great pension ponzi scheme will be changed to **** me when the time comes...

You are right though the traveling is never fun but it shows that earning well over 100k is not without its sacrifices.

Comment

Originally posted by The_Equalizer View Post
          There are still a few spots in the UK where a decent life can be had for normal money.
          Thats what the miners thought in the 80's...

Comment

Thats what the miners thought in the 80's...
            I don't think the government is going to close the internet in the near future so hopefully I'll be okay.

Comment

Originally posted by Old Greg View Post
              Yes, I find the trick is to take 8 to 10 weeks holiday per year, and every few years to do a 3 day week for a year.
              Sounds ideal but you'd need to be in a tech area that has enough demand throughout the year (over the years) or smart enough to learn and re-invent yourself so that you always have skills for which contracts are being offered.

Comment

My hen cage comes with 3000 sq foot and two nice cars out the front with plenty of disposable income thanks so I'm quite happy. But getting there has taken 10 years and the realisation that I won't get a retirement because regardless of what I invest the great pension ponzi scheme will be changed to **** me when the time comes...

You are right though the traveling is never fun but it shows that earning well over 100k is not without its sacrifices.

My hen "cage" (aka Fort Cocks) is only about 200 sq feet, but they are ex-battery hens, there's 3 of them and they have retired to live with us.

Thankfully the whole 200k thing is not an issue for me, particularly on a moderator's salary.
                …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

I don't think the government is going to close the internet in the near future so hopefully I'll be okay.
                  It doesn't have to shut the internet just find enough ICT visa's to affect your day rate. Once they do that to an area the locals that thought they were on a good thing are forced to take £250 a day to work in places like Radbrook or work further away from home.

Comment

But your job may go offshore.

Comment

Originally posted by ChimpMaster View Post
                      Sounds ideal but you'd need to be in a tech area that has enough demand throughout the year (over the years) or smart enough to learn and re-invent yourself so that you always have skills for which contracts are being offered.
                      Or have clients who tolerate you taking lots of holidays.

Comment

Working...
                      X