• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

London Mayor

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by SpontaneousOrder View Post
    No. Go back and look. You'll see that I was suggesting that islamophobia is something of an oxymoron.

If you then propose a target not representative of Islam, then that cannot be an example of islamophobia.
    If someone hates a Jewish person because that person is Jewish, then it is antisemitism regardless of whether that person is "representative" of Jewish people.

Comment

Originally posted by unixman View Post
      The UK is becoming more divided. Labour support is shrinking back towards London and a few industrial areas such as the North East. Even in those places, UKIP is snapping at their heels.
      The second party in London isn't UKIP by a long shot it's the Tories.

UKIP gain votes on the fear of Europe, immigrants and anyone who is different e.g. by religion, disability, sexuality. In London there are lots of immigrants and people who are different who live and work next to each other. This is also why the Goldsmith Mayoral campaign failed.
      "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
        The second party in London isn't UKIP by a long shot it's the Tories.

UKIP gain votes on the fear of Europe, immigrants and anyone who is different e.g. by religion, disability, sexuality. In London there are lots of immigrants and people who are different who live and work next to each other. This is also why the Goldsmith Mayoral campaign failed.
        I was referring to UKIP snapping at Labour's heals in the Northern industrial areas, not London.

I don't agree that UKIP is fear based. Where in their literature does it say they want to take rights away from the groups you mention? I am not a UKIP voter but I have met 'kippers. They aren't the bigots you say they are, they just want to be free of Europe. Even Farage's wife is German, so it would appear he does not have a hang up with "anyone who is different".

Goldsmith lost because he was a poor candidate, unpopular with both sides, disliked for his vast inherited wealth and having little relevant experience.

Comment

Even Farage's wife is German, so it would appear he does not have a hang up with "anyone who is different".
          It would appear Farage is an idiot...

Comment

Goldsmith's campaign was a turd, but he didn't "lose" as such. He simply failed to outperform the Tories more generally in London. Like him or not, Boris was a special case, and he also had a more favourable national context.

Comment

Anyway it appears Mr Galloway is now going to stand in the by election in Tooting.

I wonder if the constituents are going to fall for his hate campaign....

Comment

Originally posted by jamesbrown View Post
                Goldsmith's campaign was a turd, but he didn't "lose" as such. He simply failed to outperform the Tories more generally in London. Like him or not, Boris was a special case, and he also had a more favourable national context.
                You mean Boris actually has a personality unlike Goldsmith.

Khan is probably the first candidate who has won who has a small personality in comparison to Boris and Ken. Though at least he has other memorable attributes.

Comment

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
                  You mean Boris actually has a personality unlike Goldsmith
                  Yes. Goldsmith is a non-entity, and he didn't give the impression he even wanted it. For that reason, he polled in line with the Tories more generally. Turnout was pretty decent too, which also suggests that Goldsmith's campaign backfired (because Khan wasn't that inspiring).

Comment

I was referring to UKIP snapping at Labour's heals in the Northern industrial areas, not London.

I don't agree that UKIP is fear based. Where in their literature does it say they want to take rights away from the groups you mention? I am not a UKIP voter but I have met 'kippers. They aren't the bigots you say they are, they just want to be free of Europe. Even Farage's wife is German, so it would appear he does not have a hang up with "anyone who is different".

Goldsmith lost because he was a poor candidate, unpopular with both sides, disliked for his vast inherited wealth and having little relevant experience.
                    Nope, definitely not bigots:

Definitely not fear based:

Just morons and just a couple of the thousands of cases reported to show just that and Farage does have a problem with foreigners:

Nigel Farage in car-crash interview as he faces Ukip racism claims - Telegraph

Ukip condemns candidate James Elgar's 'deplorable' tweets about Muslims and women | UK Politics | News | The Independent

The truth about UKIP: Racist jibes, anti-gay rants, derogatory remarks about women and anti-foreign propaganda - Mirror Online
                    Brexit is having a wee in the middle of the room at a house party because nobody is talking to you, and then complaining about the smell.

Comment

Originally posted by minestrone View Post

Khan is quite clearly a moron, de Blasio is making an arse of it in New York, I expect Khan to do similar.
                      Why is Khan a moron? He ran a clever campaign, sidelining Corbyn completely.
                      And do you think bumbling Boris isn't a moron?
                      Hard Brexit now!
                      #prayfornodeal

Comment

Working...
                      X