• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

whats managable commute time for you?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by scooterscot View Post
    Is her desk under the duvet?
    "Desk" no, think of it more as the "place where she works"
    …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

Originally posted by SlipTheJab View Post
      At the end of the day as a contractor you need to go where the work is, I've never worked in my home city since I started contracting, it's been Midlands or London. A long commute or staying over is better than being involuntarily benched, I also have never cut a contract short, if I start something I will finish it (not extending a contract is fine but bailing halfway is not for me).
      I would rather be benched and spend a few weeks with the kids while cherry picking roles than doing long commutes. Each to their own

Comment

Originally posted by dx4100 View Post
        I would rather be benched and spend a few weeks with the kids while cherry picking roles than doing long commutes. Each to their own
        Like you say your missus is the breadwinner so can afford to be picky, don't blame you I'd do the same in that situation

Comment

Originally posted by SlipTheJab View Post
          Like you say your missus is the breadwinner so can afford to be picky, don't blame you I'd do the same in that situation
          The reality is we both need to be working to maintain our standard of living and I have a dedicated security blanket of a 12 month warchest to fall back onto in-between gigs. Gives me the space to not be picky for up to 12 months.

The reality is if any of us can't find work in a 12 month period something isn't right g

The advice has to be, warchest = freedom. I suggest to anyone thinking of going contracting to build one up first.

Comment

I hate hate HATE driving on main roads so having to commute on motorways would be a bit of a killer for me and I wouldn't want to drive >30-40min at all.

OTOH I'd quite happily sit for 60-90 min each way on a train if it's not overcrowded.
            Originally posted by MaryPoppins
            I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
            Originally posted by vetran
            Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
              OTOH I'd quite happily sit for 60-90 min each way on a train if it's not overcrowded.
              That said i'll probably stash some more cash , take 1 extension and i'll say bye bye manchester and welcome london around september.
              Hopefully it won't be much worse to sit in the tube and rates are higher to compensate this discomfort

Comment

Originally posted by dx4100 View Post
                The reality is we both need to be working to maintain our standard of living and I have a dedicated security blanket of a 12 month warchest to fall back onto in-between gigs. Gives me the space to not be picky for up to 12 months.

The reality is if any of us can't find work in a 12 month period something isn't right g

The advice has to be, warchest = freedom. I suggest to anyone thinking of going contracting to build one up first.
                While I agree with the sentiment, what if you exhaust the warchest to say only have 3 months left... then you're left in the position of having to spend months/years building it back up again.

I've currently got this very dilemma. I don't want to rush into any old role think that waiting 6 months for the perfect role to come along may also be a bit daft. From what I'm seeing at the moment the .Net development market is reasonably slow.

On the commute side I've regularly done 1.5+hrs each way a day but I find it's only manageable in chunks of a few months. I think if you're anything over 50 miles or 1 hr each way away then staying over is probably best to preserve your sanity longer term.

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
                  I hate hate HATE driving on main roads so having to commute on motorways would be a bit of a killer for me and I wouldn't want to drive >30-40min at all.

Pretty much this:
                  If driving then regular journey <60min each way
                  If train then <90min is probably OK
                  I'll accept the occasional 'mare is going to happen but as long as it's occasional I'll cope.

More than that and it'll be B&B/Spareroom/Hotel etc and WFH when it works

Comment

Originally posted by diseasex View Post
                    That said i'll probably stash some more cash , take 1 extension and i'll say bye bye manchester and welcome london around september.
                    Hopefully it won't be much worse to sit in the tube and rates are higher to compensate this discomfort
                    Tube in summer in rush hour is not a lot of fun, and sit? Where will you sit?

Comment

Originally posted by stek View Post
                      Tube in summer in rush hour is not a lot of fun, and sit? Where will you sit?
                      We will see. New experience that i'm after.

Comment

Working...
                      X