• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

whats managable commute time for you?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by dx4100 View Post
    Young family so staying over isn't possible..

So max of an hour commute....
    Make sure you've got a gig where client doesnt take the p then. Long commute plus long days means you dont see the kids anyway.... :-(
    Rhyddid i lofnod psychocandy!!!!

Comment

I do 4 hours per day most weekdays on the train. Been doing it for 15 years on and off. You have to work out what's right for you. I can make the equation work but it's not everyone's cup of tea.
      ...my quagmire of greed....my cesspit of laziness and unfairness....all I am doing is sticking two fingers up at nurses, doctors and other hard working employed professionals...

Comment

I have about an 1hr 40 mins drive each way on a good day, worse day has been 3hrs+
        Originally posted by Stevie Wonder Boy
        I can't see any way to do it can you please advise?

I want my account deleted and all of my information removed, I want to invoke my right to be forgotten.

Comment

My current contract is 93 miles form where I live. I stay over in a hotel one night per week and work 1 day per week from home. My contract is in the west midlands the amount of total in sane drivers is much larger then in the south east. if I would drive 5 days per week, my chances to die in a car crash would be significantly higher .

Comment

Young family so staying over isn't possible as the missus wont let me..

So max of an hour commute....
            FTFY

Comment

Originally posted by SlipTheJab View Post
              FTFY
              Spot on of course but in my experience it also depends on how much missus wants money to spend as well!

Comment

Originally posted by psychocandy View Post
                Make sure you've got a gig where client doesnt take the p then. Long commute plus long days means you dont see the kids anyway.... :-(
                I don't take any gig which has a commute of more than an hour. I also include the potential of getting caught in traffic and it going over an hour.

I don't take any gig which expects me to work more than 7.5 hours (8 hours if I want to factor in lunch).

I don't take any gig which expects me to be on site 9-5. Fine being on site but I want flex on start end times.

I would leave a gig that didn't conform to any of the above.

Finding new gigs is hard for me

Comment

Originally posted by psychocandy View Post
                  Spot on of course but in my experience it also depends on how much missus wants money to spend as well!
                  My misses earns more than me so I play second fiddle

Comment

My misses earns more than me so I play second fiddle
                    Excellent. Wish my mrs earned more than me!

Women moan about being stuck home all day with the baby but I'd be happy to send the mrs out to earn a shedload when I stayed home. Think of all the mother and baby groups you coulld go to.

Comment

I don't take any gig which has a commute of more than an hour. I also include the potential of getting caught in traffic and it going over an hour.

I don't take any gig which expects me to work more than 7.5 hours (8 hours if I want to factor in lunch).

I don't take any gig which expects me to be on site 9-5. Fine being on site but I want flex on start end times.

I would leave a gig that didn't conform to any of the above.

Finding new gigs is hard for me
                      Still on my first contracting year, I was facing being on bench so taken it. So easy to say if you have 5-10 years of contracting behind you.

Comment

Working...
                      X