• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

What would happen if the UK refused to buy any products from abroad?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
    Isn't Scottish oil to heavy to be used for petrol?
    Better get the Gatwick field online ASAP then and have some good wholesome English oil to use
    How fortunate for governments that the people they administer don't think

Comment

Originally posted by Troll View Post
      Better get the Gatwick field online ASAP then and have some good wholesome English oil to use
      what's the point of subjugating a country if you can't steal their resources?
      Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Originally posted by vetran View Post
        what's the point of subjugating a country if you can't steal their resources?
        Subjugation creates a captive market for Buckfast exports.

Comment

Yup, only useful for deep frying
          …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

Originally posted by Old Greg View Post
            So do you think that certain types of legislation should be illegal in the UK?
            I do. If a government makes such an incompetent fist of their legislation that people can exploit dumb loopholes then they should ONLY be able to amend the legislation going forwards, retrospective legislation is an offence against natural justice.

Oh before you go off on one, I am NOT caught by the retro legislation which has clobbered Brillo and his fellow scheme users, I actually think their tax planning exploit was massively taking the piss.
            However to attack them with retrospective legislation is, in my opinion, totally immoral and goes directly against one of the primary values of the English (Scots have their own) legal system.

Originally posted by Troll View Post
            Did you know the UK is 60% self sufficient in foodstuffs according to Wiki
            We could restart coal for power generation and fook the Greens
            Steal more of the Jocks oil for transport
            Give up electrical gizmos and just talk to each other
            I doubt Wiki is right, just take a wander round your local supermarket (or your own fridge, freezer and cupboards), unless you shop at your local butchers and greengrocers, on the assumption you have any, then you will find stuff from all over Europe, Ireland and much further abroad, hell we'd be shafted for tea, coffee and a vast percentage of the beer and wines people trough on.
            Restarting coal sounds great, there are vast reserves under Yorkshire, Derbyshire, Nottinghamshire, South Wales and a few other places, all pretty much in deep seams which require skilled men (yes it's sexist, but I'm not aware that they lifted the ban on women doing coal face working) and large quantities of complicated equipment to extract, while there used to be 100k+ miners in the UK I doubt there's more than 1,000 skilled miners left, that's not sufficient to run even 1 pit let alone recommission one of the ones closed down 20+ years ago. People get a tad grumpy when you suggest open cast mining and there really isn't that much close enough to the surface unlike in Newcastle (New South Wales). Oh all the mining machinery is manufactured outside of the UK.
            True the Jocks can have their oil nabbed, be happy to perpetrate that on the porridge mechanics, but how much refinery capacity is there in the country, how much does that capacity rely on imported parts, control elements and materials and for that matter is the Jockoil actually suitable for transport use?
            Electronic gadgetry controls everything these days, it's not just the twatter addicts that would be inconvenienced
            We'd all be a bit buggered for clothes too of course!

Sadly while I'd be happy to support a British Britain, the decades of offshoring everything to cheaper places to grow, sew and make stuff has left this country with the capacity to produce the square root of jack all

Comment

What will happen with foreign sockies???

Comment

No, Brent crude is about as perfect as it gets.
                His heart is in the right place - shame we can't say the same about his brain...

Comment

Originally posted by TykeMerc View Post
                  I do. If a government makes such an incompetent fist of their legislation that people can exploit dumb loopholes then they should ONLY be able to amend the legislation going forwards, retrospective legislation is an offence against natural justice.

Oh before you go off on one, I am NOT caught by the retro legislation which has clobbered Brillo and his fellow scheme users, I actually think their tax planning exploit was massively taking the piss.
                  However to attack them with retrospective legislation is, in my opinion, totally immoral and goes directly against one of the primary values of the English (Scots have their own) legal system.
                  So how would you like to see retrospective legislation made illegal? Through Act of Parliament, written constitution, supra-national Human Rights?

Comment

Originally posted by Old Greg View Post
                    So how would you like to see retrospective legislation made illegal? Through Act of Parliament, written constitution, supra-national Human Rights?
                    Via retrospective Act of Parliament...

Comment

Originally posted by AtW View Post
                      Via retrospective Act of Parliament...
                      I'll get that nice Mr Callaghan to repeal it.

Comment

Working...
                      X