• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

What would happen if the UK refused to buy any products from abroad?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by TykeMerc View Post
    Yup, that would do it.

It was a corrupt act introducing it, it would be a fitting end for the HMRC Tardis.

As I said I do NOT support Donkey Rhubarb, Brillo and their compadre's tax planning shenanigans in any way, but to retrospectively close a loophole and then throw the book at those using it years before it was closed is a national disgrace, unjust and immoral.
    Agree and retrospective taxation will not occur if they deem offshore tax havens / arrangements illegal, that's for sure.
    The Chunt of Chunts.

Comment

Will this thread wander off into Colombian hostages?
      How fortunate for governments that the people they administer don't think

Comment

Originally posted by scooterscot View Post
        Excellent question.

1) We'd be forced to make our own tat. Which is bound to be better than that from China.

2) The money we save on imports will pay down debt in minutes.

3) China's economy would be foooooked, but that's their problem.
        I certainly agree with 1 and 3. I am not sure about 2.

I think there would be a 4. UK is f000000000000ked. But then the UK is f000ked anyway. Things would go downhill quicker though.

I really hope I am able to move abroad before I die.

Comment

Originally posted by Troll View Post
          Will this thread wander off into Colombian hostages?
          Panama papers maybe?

Comment

Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post

I think there would be a 4. UK is f000000000000ked. But then the UK is f000ked anyway. Things would go downhill quicker though.

Degrees of foookness, I see. Once you're in the sheet does it matter how much of it there is?
            "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

Comment

Degrees of foookness, I see. Once you're in the sheet does it matter how much of it there is?
              Ideally it is kept below neck level.

When I was young, there was always an attitude of "we won the war so we are better than everyone else". Now I see many people who think they have a right to things without working for them.

I wish I had been born in Germany! None of this ridiculous house obsession. People work hard. Sweeping generalisations with exceptions.

Comment

Ideally it is kept below neck level.

When I was young, there was always an attitude of "we won the war so we are better than everyone else". Now I see many people who think they have a right to things without working for them.

I wish I had been born in Germany! None of this ridiculous house obsession. People work hard. Sweeping generalisations with exceptions.
                That sense of entitlement from folks really rubs me up the wrong way.

People in the UK spend more hours in work than those in Germany.

As the older generation dies off I see a younger German population very proud of their country despite the recent refugee crisis. They are articulate, without colourful metaphors, skilled in skills the economy needs. I see as many woman on the shop floor here as I do men folk. Kind of exciting really to see that acceptance.
                "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

Comment

People in the UK spend more hours in the pub than those in Germany.
                  FTFY
                  His heart is in the right place - shame we can't say the same about his brain...

Comment

I already live abroad. Please don't spoil it.

Comment

Originally posted by Old Greg View Post
                      I already live abroad. Please don't spoil it.
                      So why are you on ContractorUK then? Isn't there someone for you to annoy on ContractorBongoBongoLand?

Comment

Working...
                      X