• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "What would happen if the UK refused to buy any products from abroad?"

Collapse

• BrilloPad
    replied
    Originally posted by Old Greg View Post
    I already live abroad. Please don't spoil it.
    So why are you on ContractorUK then? Isn't there someone for you to annoy on ContractorBongoBongoLand?

Leave a comment:

• Old Greg
    replied
    Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
    I certainly agree with 1 and 3. I am not sure about 2.

I think there would be a 4. UK is f000000000000ked. But then the UK is f000ked anyway. Things would go downhill quicker though.

I really hope I am able to move abroad before I die.
    I already live abroad. Please don't spoil it.

Leave a comment:

• Mordac
    replied
    Originally posted by scooterscot View Post
    People in the UK spend more hours in the pub than those in Germany.
    FTFY

Leave a comment:

• scooterscot
    replied
    Ideally it is kept below neck level.

When I was young, there was always an attitude of "we won the war so we are better than everyone else". Now I see many people who think they have a right to things without working for them.

I wish I had been born in Germany! None of this ridiculous house obsession. People work hard. Sweeping generalisations with exceptions.
    That sense of entitlement from folks really rubs me up the wrong way.

People in the UK spend more hours in work than those in Germany.

As the older generation dies off I see a younger German population very proud of their country despite the recent refugee crisis. They are articulate, without colourful metaphors, skilled in skills the economy needs. I see as many woman on the shop floor here as I do men folk. Kind of exciting really to see that acceptance.

Leave a comment:

• BrilloPad
    replied
    Degrees of foookness, I see. Once you're in the sheet does it matter how much of it there is?
    Ideally it is kept below neck level.

When I was young, there was always an attitude of "we won the war so we are better than everyone else". Now I see many people who think they have a right to things without working for them.

I wish I had been born in Germany! None of this ridiculous house obsession. People work hard. Sweeping generalisations with exceptions.

Leave a comment:

• scooterscot
    replied

I think there would be a 4. UK is f000000000000ked. But then the UK is f000ked anyway. Things would go downhill quicker though.

Degrees of foookness, I see. Once you're in the sheet does it matter how much of it there is?

Leave a comment:

• BrilloPad
    replied
    Originally posted by Troll View Post
    Will this thread wander off into Colombian hostages?
    Panama papers maybe?

Leave a comment:

• BrilloPad
    replied
    Excellent question.

1) We'd be forced to make our own tat. Which is bound to be better than that from China.

2) The money we save on imports will pay down debt in minutes.

3) China's economy would be foooooked, but that's their problem.

Leave a comment:

• Troll
    replied
    Will this thread wander off into Colombian hostages?

Leave a comment:

• MrMarkyMark
    replied
    Originally posted by TykeMerc View Post
    Yup, that would do it.

It was a corrupt act introducing it, it would be a fitting end for the HMRC Tardis.

As I said I do NOT support Donkey Rhubarb, Brillo and their compadre's tax planning shenanigans in any way, but to retrospectively close a loophole and then throw the book at those using it years before it was closed is a national disgrace, unjust and immoral.
    Agree and retrospective taxation will not occur if they deem offshore tax havens / arrangements illegal, that's for sure.

Leave a comment:

• Mordac
    replied
    Originally posted by FatLazyContractor View Post
    I would emigrate to Poland or Romania. Haven't ruled out Russia yet.
    Shall we have a whip-round...?

Leave a comment:

• darmstadt
    replied
    It does make me worry what would happen if we got into a war with anyone.

No wonder we let Saudi and China get away with so many human rights abuses.
    The UK will soon be able to do that if May gets her way: Theresa May faces huge backlash over call to leave European human rights convention | Home News | News | The Independent

Leave a comment:

• scooterscot
    replied
    Originally posted by WTFH View Post

If UK industry wants to grow then UK citizens need to buy UK products and not mind possibly paying more for them than an import.
    That's what already happens in Germany. The backbone of the economy is small business. And to be successful they all know they need to excel on one thing. Quality. We in the UK will never understand that whilst we remain short-term focused money grabbing $@£$£@

Leave a comment:

• scooterscot
    replied
    Just asking.....
    Excellent question.

1) We'd be forced to make our own tat. Which is bound to be better than that from China.

2) The money we save on imports will pay down debt in minutes.

3) China's economy would be foooooked, but that's their problem.

Leave a comment:

• FatLazyContractor
    replied
    Apart from FLC having to pay UK girls instead of those cheap Polish ones.....
    I would emigrate to Poland or Romania. Haven't ruled out Russia yet.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X