• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Tesla model 3

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

When you drive an electric car you just push the emissions on to the Electricity generators. I would say only in France are you actually "saving the environment". If everyone switches to Electric cars they'll be a huge ramp up of coal and gas fired power stations carefully concealed behind a thin line of wind turbines, and then massive "green taxes" to discourage people from driving.
    I'm alright Jack

Comment

Originally posted by BlasterBates View Post
      When you drive an electric car you just push the emissions on to the Electricity generators. I would say only in France are you actually "saving the environment". If everyone switches to Electric cars they'll be a huge ramp up of coal and gas fired power stations carefully concealed behind a thin line of wind turbines, and then massive "green taxes" to discourage people from driving.
      I wouldn't buy an electric car to "save the environment", but rather, if the electricity comes from non fossil fuels, stop money going to petro dollar countries such as Saudi, Russia, Iran, Iraq, Syria, etc.

I don't want my hard earned ending up in any of those countries.

Comment

Originally posted by bobspud View Post
        Its a common sentiment but if you are actually driving any porker hard enough to show up the improvement over the SL then you are probably on borrowed time before you visit a prison.
        Or on country roads.
        The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world that he didn't exist

Comment

Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post
          I don't want my hard earned ending up in any of those countries.
          How do you feel about your money ending up in Panama?

Comment

Five speed auto, I would have thought Merc used the 7 speed auto?
            New ones - yes, but mine had too much torque for 7 speedo to manage at the time

Comment

Originally posted by AtW View Post
              How do you feel about your money ending up in Panama?

Comment

Five speed auto, I would have thought Merc used the 7 speed auto?

5 litre V8, 2 tons, 5 speed auto, it's never going to be a sports car...more like an old American muscle car.
                The new ones do BUT The AMG 55 / 63 / 65 need to have an AMG gearbox to cope with the sheerly ludicrous torque that rips out the back of the engines. So as a result they tend to end up with last models gear box. The New SL for September has the 9 speed in it but the 63 still has the old one.

As for not feeling like a sports car those things will pull your liver out your backside if you stamp on the accelerator hard enough. When they came out, there was some footage somewhere of Damon Hill making one of the seasoned car journalists puke while he was taking one round a track. Daemon was treating it like a day down the shops chatting away like nothing was happening then BARF!!! I had a go in an 2010 e55 a while ago it was just mental.

Comment

Originally posted by bobspud View Post
                  The new ones do BUT The AMG 55 / 63 / 65 need to have an AMG gearbox to cope with the sheerly ludicrous torque that rips out the back of the engines. So as a result they tend to end up with last models gear box. The New SL for September has the 9 speed in it but the 63 still has the old one.

As for not feeling like a sports car those things will pull your liver out your backside if you stamp on the accelerator hard enough. When they came out, there was some footage somewhere of Damon Hill making one of the seasoned car journalists puke while he was taking one round a track. Daemon was treating it like a day down the shops chatting away like nothing was happening then BARF!!! I had a go in an 2010 e55 a while ago it was just mental.
                  I've taken an E63 out on a track and it's a wonderful car. For a fun day on country roads though, I'd be struggling to see past a Cayman S instead of your SL55 though, or even a 911 for that matter. That said, I'd imagine the SLK55 would be fun (it's not a 'kin hairdresser's car if it's got that engine in) and a better comparison to the Cayman. I need to test drive a Lotus Evora, they look very nice too.
                  The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world that he didn't exist

Comment

Originally posted by LondonManc View Post
                    I've taken an E63 out on a track and it's a wonderful car. For a fun day on country roads though, I'd be struggling to see past a Cayman S instead of your SL55 though, or even a 911 for that matter. That said, I'd imagine the SLK55 would be fun (it's not a 'kin hairdresser's car if it's got that engine in) and a better comparison to the Cayman. I need to test drive a Lotus Evora, they look very nice too.

New Mercs look crap (E class coupe is ok) and top AMG models want way too much for relatively slow performance.

Comment

Originally posted by AtW View Post

New Mercs look crap (E class coupe is ok) and top AMG models want way too much for relatively slow performance.
                      AMG A-Class. 0-60 in 4.2s, claimed 40mpg (combined, up to 50 extra-urban) £40k

Relatively cheap rocket.

Comment

Working...
                      X