• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

details regarding the 97% consensus paper from Peter Cook.

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

To deal with the minor inaccuracies first… its John, not Peter Cook, and he is Climate Communication Fellow for the Global Change Institute at the University of Queensland.* His day job is a web and database programmer and running the excellent Skeptical Science website.

"Multiple studies published in peer-reviewed scientific journals1 show that 97 percent or more of actively publishing climate scientists agree: Climate-warming trends over the past century are very likely due to human activities."
    This is demonstrably the case. I posted links to similar surveys and reviews before and after Cook et al and the reference on the NASA page links Cook et al amongst several other surveys showing the same thing.

The idea of science being settled by consensus is absurd, but that's not the point.*
    I agree, however the consensus is strong because the evidence is strong.
    While skepticalscience.com (and everyone parroting their sophistry) ostensibly aims to convince that human beings are the primary driver of global warming ("Global warming is happening - and we are the cause."), their methodology in no way aims to actually make this point.*
    You're constructing a Straw Man, the post you linked to ….'Skeptical Science Study Finds 97% Consensus on Human-Caused Global Warming in the Peer-Reviewed Literature

Says this "A new survey*of over 12,000 peer-reviewed*climate*science papers by our citizen science team at Skeptical Science has found a 97% consensus among papers taking a position on the cause of global warming in the peer-reviewed literature that humans are responsible."

Nothing about the 'primary driver'. The point of the research was an attempt to quantify the level of agreement that AGW is a reality. Try reading the abstract.
    That is equivalent to performing a survey on whether motorcycles are cool or not where your sample of 400 people consists of 100 in an ice-cream parlour, another 100 at a horse race, and then 200 at a motorcycle shop - and then dismissing 2 thirds of those at the horse race and ice-cream parlour because they didn't care enough to comment, and then concluding that 85% of the population think that motorcycles are cool.*
    That is such a breathtakingly bad analogy I'm tempted not to even bother, a marginally better one would be to survey a range of doctors on cardio vasuclar issues and drawing a conclusion from only those that explicitly mentioned a link between smoking and lung cancer. AGW is just a 'given' to most climate scientists. Read the other surveys.

As one of the SkS team pointed out

We didn't expect scientists to go into nitty gritty detail about settled science in the valuable real estate of the abstract (the short summary at the start of the paper). However, we did expect to see it more often in the full paper, and that's exactly what we observed. When scientists were asked to rate the level of endorsement of their own papers, in the 237 papers that actually specified the proportion of human-caused global warming, over 96% agreed that humans have caused more than half of the recent global warming.
    "Rising energy prices, global warming, and more stringent environmental regulations have resulted in an interest in warm mix asphalt (WMA) technologies as a means to decrease the energy consumption and emissions associated with conventional hot mix asphalt production"
    "Clearly this in no way implies that the paper endorses the idea of any man-made warming at all"
    Excuse me? The abstract mentions global warming as a problem and reducing energy usage and emissions as part of the solution.

And, as WTFH points out, looks like you may have confused the 'endorsement level' and 'category' columns.

Are you 'Gumbo'?
    Last edited by pjclarke; 7 March 2016, 17:17.
    My subconscious is annoying. It's got a mind of its own.

Comment

Originally posted by pjclarke View Post
      To deal with the minor inaccuracies first… its John, not Peter Cook, and he is Climate Communication Fellow for the Global Change Institute at the University of Queensland.* His day job is a web and database programmer and running the excellent Skeptical Science website.
      So are you suggesting he is cooking the books?
      Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Looks like I should have kept my Porsche then.
        The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world that he didn't exist

Comment

Originally posted by WTFH View Post
          You said you've studied all the data, yet you state that others read it then you read their results.
          Pardon me?

Comment

Originally posted by SpontaneousOrder View Post
            Pardon me?

Sorry, it should have said that you MIS-read the results. My apologies for implying that you got something right.
            …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

Originally posted by pjclarke View Post
              To deal with the minor inaccuracies first… its John, not Peter Cook…
              I was hoping for something along these lines:

Comment

For some reason, SO's argument reminds me of

Last edited by pjclarke; 7 March 2016, 16:59.
                My subconscious is annoying. It's got a mind of its own.

Comment

I was expecting something from E.L. Wisty

Comment

Originally posted by WTFH View Post
                    That might be why it is classed as Endorsement 4 - No Position

Endorsement
                    1,Explicitly endorses and quantifies AGW as 50+%
                    2,Explicitly endorses but does not quantify or minimise
                    3,Implicitly endorses AGW without minimising it
                    4,No Position
                    5,Implicitly minimizes/rejects AGW
                    6,Explicitly minimizes/rejects AGW but does not quantify
                    7,Explicitly minimizes/rejects AGW as less than 50%

Perhaps your understanding of data is a tad flawed!

2010,Influence Of Antistripping Additives On Moisture Susceptibility Of Warm Mix Asphalt Mixtures,Journal Of Materials In Civil Engineering,Xiao| Fp; Zhao| Wb; Gandhi| T; Amirkhanian| Sn,3,3

Category 3, endorsement 3.
                    Any more lies?

Comment

Originally posted by SimonMac View Post
                      So you don't like the results of the last time you posted it so you will do it again and again until you get the results you want

Maybe that's what both camps are doing anyway

I've never posted it before.

Comment

Working...
                      X