• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Client bitching about hours- pisses me off!

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
    Say what?
    Have you shut down early for the weekend?
    The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world that he didn't exist

Comment

Originally posted by LondonManc View Post
      Have you shut down early for the weekend?
      No I daren't in case my boss picks on me.
      'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

I've worked with bellend permies and I've worked with bellend contractors.

I've been a bellend permie. I am a bellend contractor.

That's how I see it.

Comment

Originally posted by OnceStonedRose View Post
          I've worked with permies and I've worked with contractors.

I've been a permie. I am a contractor.

That's how I see it.
          There you go. Doesn't that say the same thing and look much better.
          'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Erm.. Extra days invoicing you mean? Pay wise we are in the same boat as the permies surely

When talking to a permie, most don't understand the concept of invoicing (or indeed of not getting money when sick/on holiday, etc). Talking using their terminology makes it easier for them to grasp a concept.

If it makes you happier, you can say to a permie "so you worked a day for free this year?"
            …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

There you go. Doesn't that say the same thing and look much better.
              Just a matter of taste. However I am going to try to curb my industrial language so yes. Thanks for FingTFM.

Comment

What I do depends on who the criticism/ribbing is coming from when you hear the "we've got a part timer" or "thanks for coming in" type of comments.

If it's not the person approving my timesheets or has any influence on renewals I either ignore them or use their catchphrases back when they turn up or leave outside the usual time. It then becomes an in joke and no one (well I don't) really thinks it's criticism any more.

If it's the person approving my timesheets or anyone important I have a word with my 'handler' to make sure an agreement is in place. Currently that agreement is that if it's not a typical day start/end wise (I have a day rate) then I'll track the hours. When those hours add up to a full day (as per the contract, which is currently 7 hours per working day) I'll put it on the timesheet. It's exceptionally rare I work over the weekends so my contract has no special weekend rate making it easy for me to add those extra days on the timesheet for sat/sun.

The only time I've seen time keeping be a problem regarding the permies and contractors is when the contractor starts taking the piss by regularly being late without any forewarning or always disappearing so the permie management start to notice.

Communication with the permies that matter is key when you have unusual circumstances or don't want to be taken as a mug on professional working days.
                Maybe tomorrow, I'll want to settle down. Until tomorrow, I'll just keep moving on.

Comment

Hourly rate.

Boo

Comment

No I daren't in case my boss picks on me.
                    NLUK has just been caught inside IR35

Comment

Originally posted by Eirikur View Post
                      NLUK has just been caught inside IR35
                      He was referring to NLYUK.

Comment

Working...
                      X