• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Why I'll be voting to stay in Europe

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by BlasterBates View Post
    Iceland Switzerland and Norway are in the Schengen area so there are no immigration or passport controls at all. You certainly don't need a job or appropriate funds, you are free to go and settle.
    Wait so the UK could be forced to join Schengen as well? Maybe an exit will be a good idea. Next step, EEA membership to include adopting the euro!

Comment

Originally posted by Waldorf View Post
      ...Britain goes from strength to strength.
      How can a country be strong with huge debts?
      The main thing growing in Britain is its debt pile.
      The Tories have failed massively in what they they are usually voted in for - to fix excessive spending.
      The other party will only spend more.
      That's why I don't hold out much prospect of a rosy future.
      Hard Brexit now!
      #prayfornodeal

Comment

Originally posted by sasguru View Post
        I can't help thinking this growing debt pile will jump up and bite us in the ass at some point.
        Now that wouldn't surprise me. However, the resulting trashing of house prices wouldn't, in the long term, be a bad thing. The South East is a real mess and the rest of the UK is pretty bad when compared to earnings multiples. I would hazard a guess that most people just look at the monthly repayments when taking a mortgage. I doubt it'll happen soon, but imagine the carnage if interest rates were pushed up to something mild like four percent.

Comment

If so, I doubt multinationals will find all the talent they require in the UK, so relocation to the wider labour pool of Europe would make sense.
          Multinationals want us to remain in the EU because the restrictive practices imposed by EU protect their businesses. Furthermore instead of using their powerful lobbying mechanisms to influence many separate governments all of who have direct accountability to the electorate they can instead lobby a single commissioner who has no such accountability.

If they want access to the wider labour pool then why don't they simply relocate them to work in the UK?

I didn’t think TTIP could get any scarier, but then I spoke to the EU official in charge of it | Voices | The Independent

And if we think that getting out of the EU now is too onerous and expensive just imagine what it will be like in 10 years time when it has given itself more power and the EU is in a worse state than it is now..
          Let us not forget EU open doors immigration benefits IT contractors more than anyone

Comment

Greece is a special case that should never have been allowed into Europe anyway.
            A genuine Balkan banana republic.
            Oh so the problem doesn't exist then?
            Let us not forget EU open doors immigration benefits IT contractors more than anyone

Comment

Italy is a funny one, has some very sound parts of its economy, actually exports more than the UK.
              Could be very viable with a bit of political strength.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...ies_by_exports
              "Could"

Is a bit like saying you "could " have been clever if you had been born with a brain

Comment

Originally posted by DodgyAgent View Post

If they want access to the wider labour pool then why don't they simply relocate them to work in the UK?
                Because NAT and I were discussing what would happen if they couldn't relocate them to the Uk. Doh!
                Hard Brexit now!
                #prayfornodeal

Comment

Originally posted by DodgyAgent View Post
                  Oh so the problem doesn't exist then?
                  It can be easily solved by booting them out, which should have happened in June last year, as the Germany Finance minister suggested.
                  Hard Brexit now!
                  #prayfornodeal

Comment

I can't help thinking
                    Why not do us all a favour and give it a try

Comment

It can be easily solved by booting them out, which should have happened in June last year, as the Germany Finance minister suggested.
                      So why doesn't that happen then?

Comment

Working...
                      X