• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Three month advanced warning.

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

If no one was talking to me about renewals a month from the end of a contract I'd be phoning the agency to raise the question and updating/reactivating my CV.

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
      It's not harsh at all. You knew exactly what date the gig was going to end the as soon as you signed the contract. Anything else is a bonus. If Bolshie was around he'd point out this is what happens when you've been at a client for a long period. You start expecting renewals (which could be a MoO issue no?) and blaming the client when you don't get one.

Start making noises a week or two before the end about handover, cancel meetings past your leaving date and start handing over. The client will either let you carry on or stop you. There is your answer.
      Indeed, no news = no renewal, suck it up and start lookin rather than waiting until the 11th hour hoping for an extension

Comment

Originally posted by seanraaron View Post
        If no one was talking to me about renewals a month from the end of a contract I'd be phoning the agency to raise the question and updating/reactivating my CV.
        A month from renewal is where you ask the client "who do you want me to hand over to?"

Focusses the mind beautifully.
        Best Forum Advisor 2014
        Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
        Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

Originally posted by TheFaQQer View Post
          2012 and 2014 versions are slightly different - there was more optimism in 2012.
          You missed the "Everyone is watching the Olympics" and "Jubilee celebrations" excuses from the 2012 version.
          The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world that he didn't exist

Comment

Like a previous poster said it's good that the client has given you such advanced warning, I've managed to find contracts in December and January before now no matter how much I tried to avoid that time of the year. Generally the market is really quiet at these times traditionally but I've not found it to be the case.

April generally has a lot of new contracts come on to the market as budgets have been agreed.
            In Scooter we trust

Comment

Sounds a great opportunity to book a holiday
              Originally posted by MaryPoppins
              I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
              Originally posted by vetran
              Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

The best thing was when I was only being extended, for a month at a time on the last day of the contract.
                I found a 12 month contract, at a higher rate, then told them to stick it.

Which was nice.
                The Chunt of Chunts.

Comment

Gotta remember also there are plenty of contractors around that believe 'there won't be a renewal' means 'get another gig asap and leave your client in the lurch'. Keep them hanging on and they might actually see the gig through.
                  'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
                    Gotta remember also there are plenty of contractors around that believe 'there won't be a renewal' means 'get another gig asap and leave your client in the lurch'. Keep them hanging on and they might actually see the gig through.
                    Mine told me 7 months, ago, bu,t that is completely unusual, in my experience.
                    The Chunt of Chunts.

Comment

Originally posted by MrMarkyMark View Post
                      Mine told me 7 months, ago, bu,t that is completely unusual, in my experience.
                      When I started my current contract, the IT director told me it definitely would not last longer than 6 years (really).

I am doing my best to prove him wrong. Having said that, I have outlasted him at this client.

Comment

Working...
                      X