• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

North Sea tax revenues plummet to negative for the first time in sector's history

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by MrMarkyMark View Post
    So, you are married to WTFH
    was, her video entitled "6 cum aboard the good ship WTFH" sort of caused the divorce. I would't mind but it was our honeymoon, she promised after filming "Vicars & Virgins" during the service it was her last time.
    Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

FTFY

Originally posted by scooterscot View Post
      The whole point of this thread has fallen drastically off topic, seeing as I posted it in General, its my own stupid fault
      The Chunt of Chunts.

Comment

I think you have been spending too much time in Scotland, down here we have a vastly different view.
        That's your problem in the nutshell. 'down here' you say. There's no 'we'. It's always inward.

It's perfectly clear the government cherry picks projects to certain areas. Look at the north (forget Scotland for a minute), around manchester to Leeds to Newcastle, all neglected for years.
        "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by scooterscot View Post
          That's your problem in the nutshell. 'down here' you say. There's no 'we'. It's always inward.

It's perfectly clear the government cherry picks projects to certain areas. Look at the north (forget Scotland for a minute), around manchester to Leeds to Newcastle, all neglected for years.
          It was a bit tongue in cheek .

However, I totally agree with your second point.........
          The Chunt of Chunts.

Comment

I think you have been spending too much time in Scotland, down here we have a vastly different view.
            I emigrated to Scotland, so yeah, I spend a lot of time here. From the times I've been south of the Border the attitude seems to be either derision - normally editorial pieces when a Scottish politician says something the editor hears about, but for the most part people in England don't seem to think about Scotland at all. The latter is why I don't believe any constitutional change is coming - the majority of politicians just don't give a toss.

Of course if Scotland continues to back the SNP with the belief that it's the only way Scotland has a meaningful voice in Parliament, then maybe England will want to end the Union!

Re: tax and government funding, Mr. Osborne seems to have a fondness for shell games, so how about binning the %20 tax bracket and raising VAT to %40. It has the bonus of being wildly regressive, which both Tories and Blairites seem to like and it's more likely to get money back from evil benefits fraudsters and tax dodgers alike and balance everything nicely. What's not to like?

Comment

Currently, as things stand, it is unfortunately.
              Each body gets around £1300 more, tax spend, than someone in the UK. ...
              I don't begrudge that, if it helps keep the UK together.

In fact I despise stupid ignorant English people who claim to welcome the idea of Scottish independence, although I suspect most don't really mean it and it's no more than a forlorn attempt to sound clever and controversial.

Also, the Scots probably need that extra money just to pay their heating bills, as it seems to average 10deg colder up there than the rest of the UK most of the time!
              Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

Comment

Originally posted by OwlHoot View Post
                I don't begrudge that, if it helps keep the UK together.

In fact I despise stupid ignorant English people who claim to welcome the idea of Scottish independence, although I suspect most don't really mean it and it's no more than a forlorn attempt to sound clever and controversial.

Also, the Scots probably need that extra money just to pay their heating bills, as it seems to average 10deg colder up there than the rest of the UK most of the time!
                I never welcomed it, I couldn't see how it could work given the dependance of the figures on something that may or may not work? And the deeper you looked, the more it seemed to be a chancer strategy.

If it "worked" the SNP were heroes. If it didn't, and the rest of Britain had to mount a rescue package then that's ok too.

My view was, if you go indy, you get to stay indy or resign when it all goes boobs inverted.

Comment

Originally posted by vetran View Post
                  Love WTFH

Lots of people do. Thanks for joining the club.
                  …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

Originally posted by seanraaron View Post
                    I emigrated to Scotland, so yeah, I spend a lot of time here. From the times I've been south of the Border the attitude seems to be either derision normally editorial pieces when a Scottish politician says something the editor hears about,
                    Yup - it what happens when you live in the sticks - the sphere of influence is in the SE corner of this Island, you may not like it but it is a reality - glad to see you have inherited the chip on your shoulder as part of your emigration - you'll fit right in up there

- but for the most part people in England don't seem to think about Scotland at all.
                    Yup

-
                    The latter is why I don't believe any constitutional change is coming - the majority of politicians just don't give a toss.
                    True dat

- Of course if Scotland continues to back the SNP with the belief that it's the only way Scotland has a meaningful voice in Parliament, then maybe England will want to end the Union!
                    Works for me
                    How fortunate for governments that the people they administer don't think

Comment

Re: the original poster £ vs US$ is also sad to look at; I can't remember the exhange rate being this bad and I'm planning a summer holiday there, ugh.
                      "bad" ??

For exporters it's great news as they get more £ converting from $.

What a selfish attitude.

Comment

Working...
                      X