• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "North Sea tax revenues plummet to negative for the first time in sector's history"

Collapse

• Platypus
    replied
    Originally posted by seanraaron View Post
    Re: the original poster £ vs US$ is also sad to look at; I can't remember the exhange rate being this bad and I'm planning a summer holiday there, ugh.
    "bad" ??

For exporters it's great news as they get more £ converting from $.

What a selfish attitude.

Leave a comment:

• Troll
    replied
    I emigrated to Scotland, so yeah, I spend a lot of time here. From the times I've been south of the Border the attitude seems to be either derision normally editorial pieces when a Scottish politician says something the editor hears about,
    Yup - it what happens when you live in the sticks - the sphere of influence is in the SE corner of this Island, you may not like it but it is a reality - glad to see you have inherited the chip on your shoulder as part of your emigration - you'll fit right in up there

- but for the most part people in England don't seem to think about Scotland at all.
    Yup

-
    The latter is why I don't believe any constitutional change is coming - the majority of politicians just don't give a toss.
    True dat

- Of course if Scotland continues to back the SNP with the belief that it's the only way Scotland has a meaningful voice in Parliament, then maybe England will want to end the Union!
    Works for me

Leave a comment:

• WTFH
    replied
    Originally posted by vetran View Post
    Love WTFH

Lots of people do. Thanks for joining the club.

Leave a comment:

• Lost It
    replied
    Originally posted by OwlHoot View Post
    I don't begrudge that, if it helps keep the UK together.

In fact I despise stupid ignorant English people who claim to welcome the idea of Scottish independence, although I suspect most don't really mean it and it's no more than a forlorn attempt to sound clever and controversial.

Also, the Scots probably need that extra money just to pay their heating bills, as it seems to average 10deg colder up there than the rest of the UK most of the time!
    I never welcomed it, I couldn't see how it could work given the dependance of the figures on something that may or may not work? And the deeper you looked, the more it seemed to be a chancer strategy.

If it "worked" the SNP were heroes. If it didn't, and the rest of Britain had to mount a rescue package then that's ok too.

My view was, if you go indy, you get to stay indy or resign when it all goes boobs inverted.

Leave a comment:

• OwlHoot
    replied
    Originally posted by MrMarkyMark View Post
    Currently, as things stand, it is unfortunately.
    Each body gets around £1300 more, tax spend, than someone in the UK. ...
    I don't begrudge that, if it helps keep the UK together.

In fact I despise stupid ignorant English people who claim to welcome the idea of Scottish independence, although I suspect most don't really mean it and it's no more than a forlorn attempt to sound clever and controversial.

Also, the Scots probably need that extra money just to pay their heating bills, as it seems to average 10deg colder up there than the rest of the UK most of the time!

Leave a comment:

• seanraaron
    replied
    I think you have been spending too much time in Scotland, down here we have a vastly different view.
    I emigrated to Scotland, so yeah, I spend a lot of time here. From the times I've been south of the Border the attitude seems to be either derision - normally editorial pieces when a Scottish politician says something the editor hears about, but for the most part people in England don't seem to think about Scotland at all. The latter is why I don't believe any constitutional change is coming - the majority of politicians just don't give a toss.

Of course if Scotland continues to back the SNP with the belief that it's the only way Scotland has a meaningful voice in Parliament, then maybe England will want to end the Union!

Re: tax and government funding, Mr. Osborne seems to have a fondness for shell games, so how about binning the %20 tax bracket and raising VAT to %40. It has the bonus of being wildly regressive, which both Tories and Blairites seem to like and it's more likely to get money back from evil benefits fraudsters and tax dodgers alike and balance everything nicely. What's not to like?

Leave a comment:

• MrMarkyMark
    replied
    Originally posted by scooterscot View Post
    That's your problem in the nutshell. 'down here' you say. There's no 'we'. It's always inward.

It's perfectly clear the government cherry picks projects to certain areas. Look at the north (forget Scotland for a minute), around manchester to Leeds to Newcastle, all neglected for years.
    It was a bit tongue in cheek .

However, I totally agree with your second point.........

Leave a comment:

• scooterscot
    replied

I think you have been spending too much time in Scotland, down here we have a vastly different view.
    That's your problem in the nutshell. 'down here' you say. There's no 'we'. It's always inward.

It's perfectly clear the government cherry picks projects to certain areas. Look at the north (forget Scotland for a minute), around manchester to Leeds to Newcastle, all neglected for years.

Leave a comment:

• MrMarkyMark
    replied
    FTFY

Originally posted by scooterscot View Post
    The whole point of this thread has fallen drastically off topic, seeing as I posted it in General, its my own stupid fault

Leave a comment:

• vetran
    replied
    So, you are married to WTFH
    was, her video entitled "6 cum aboard the good ship WTFH" sort of caused the divorce. I would't mind but it was our honeymoon, she promised after filming "Vicars & Virgins" during the service it was her last time.

Leave a comment:

• MrMarkyMark
    replied
    Originally posted by vetran View Post
    No CFL I am your father!
    So, you are married to WTFH

Leave a comment:

• vetran
    replied
    Originally posted by clearedforlanding View Post
    [WTFH is not my mum]
    No CFL I am your father!

Love WTFH

Leave a comment:

• MrMarkyMark
    replied
    I'm guessing even the Welsh will want to quit eventually.

Do you promise?

Scottish disaffection with Union is nothing new, it's been growing for a couple of generations now. Having a referendum and saying "right, we've done that, now shut up" isn't going to save it, sorry.

Leave a comment:

• Lost It
    replied
    And if Brexit happens?

That will raise a completely new can of spanners.

The SDP has already hinted that Brexit will mean them trying for another vote on independence (it seems to me they plan on having as many votes as it takes to get the "right" result?) and at that point the currency they plan to adopt becomes somewhat irrelevant, I'm guessing the only option they will have, IF they can stay in the EC will be the Euro?

Leave a comment:

• MrMarkyMark
    replied
    Originally posted by clearedforlanding View Post
    And I curse that I have Cardiff in my passport. My mother accompanied my father on a two day business trip. Couldn't you have held me in for 2 ******* days mum? It has tarred me for life.

[WTFH is not my mum]
    Completely understand, you poor, damaged thing

If WTFH was your mum, I believe, you would have a lot to worry about.

Quick test to make sure, ask yourself the following questions:-

1) Does she own a 4 by 4, that gets muddy sometimes?
    2) Have you ever seen a roll of carpet in the back?
    3) Does she own a stout pair of Black , leather, stranglers gloves.

If the answers are all "yes", then there is a strong chance that WTFH, may be your mum.

HTH.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X