• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Told off on my first day...

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by psychocandy View Post
    So I parked on the road every time....
    That's just what we need.

More rebels
    The Chunt of Chunts.

Comment

Originally posted by TheFaQQer View Post
      Possibly.

When I worked in Runcorn, we had strict policies on things like this - can't carry a hot drink without a lid, have to use the handrail, have to reverse into a parking space because it's safer.

Nothing about the plant leaking chemicals into the Mersey, or clouds of chlorine escaping, that was OK.
      Sounds suspiciously like bp ....

You have to remember that the permies have to fill in 3 "Safety Observations" each a month as part of their annual performance targets.

This is an almost impossible task because most of the work is office based and in reality there aint that much unsafe practice occurring, hence the obsession with holding hand-rails and carrying hot drinks.

Comment

Mate works at a company that for health & safety decided no hot liquids at your workstations, cos someone spilled a bit of soup on their hand (which had to go into the medical book).

Everyone went nuts, so they said okay tea and coffee is allowed but no soup.

So a mug of soup = reprimand
        Mug of coffee = ok

Boggles the mind.
        Unless you're the lead dog, the scenery never changes.

Currently 10+ contracts available in your area

Comment

Originally posted by NibblyPig View Post
          Mate works at a company that for health & safety decided no hot liquids at your workstations, cos someone spilled a bit of soup on their hand (which had to go into the medical book).

Everyone went nuts, so they said okay tea and coffee is allowed but no soup.

So a mug of soup = reprimand
          Mug of coffee = ok

Boggles the mind.
          What about bovril? Beef tea has a foot in both camps..

Comment

Originally posted by barrydidit View Post
            What about bovril? Beef tea has a foot in both camps..
            And how about a big pot of chili....?

Comment

Originally posted by TheFaQQer View Post
              Possibly.

When I worked in Runcorn, we had strict policies on things like this - can't carry a hot drink without a lid, have to use the handrail, have to reverse into a parking space because it's safer.

Nothing about the plant leaking chemicals into the Mersey, or clouds of chlorine escaping, that was OK.
              Would that be ici or that's what it used to be?

Comment

Construction industry have similar rules. I've been caught out by them before. And if you don't use the handrail, they tell you that you have to use the lifts.
                Their reasoning is that good safety practice must be carried out at all their sites, not just quarries, but the same rules in the office buildings/car parks.
                …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

Originally posted by Wilmslow View Post
                  New client is obsessed with the safety elves – When walking upstairs I was pulled over about the importance of holding onto the germ infested handrail.

Not allowed to park on site as a contractor, which is a real pain as the only option is the local Virgin station – at £9 a day, assuming I can get a space as the carpark fills up very early in the day.

Oh, and a nice 9am scrum I cannot be late for, with no other means of parking locally I may just need to take the train daily, as I am darned if I am paying £45 a week just to park on top of the hotel costs - would get me home every day at least.

Lifes challenges....
                  SSE by any chance?
                  I was an IPSE Consultative Council Member, until the BoD abolished it. I am not an IPSE Member, since they have no longer have any relevance to me, as an IT Contractor. Read my lips...I recommend QDOS for ALL your Insurance requirements (Contact me for a referral code).

Comment

Originally posted by Scruff View Post
                    SSE by any chance?
                    SIS

It's Wilmslow we talking about...

Comment

Except in the centre of town (which has limited on street parking) there's plenty of on street parking 5 mins walk from the centre. If you fancy taking on the PPC running the Waitrose car park it's free there also (free for 2 hours anyway).

Comment

Working...
                      X