• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

"I read somewhere..."

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by darmstadt View Post
    I've done a few projects in Switzerland and I remember one where the contact guy was from Serbia and spoke good German and English. In the meeting were German Swiss and the other guys were from Ticino (Tessiner Swiss who speak a version of Italian) so the meeting had to be held in English as none of the Swiss could understand each other. When the Serb guy and me wanted to discuss something important without the others knowing what we were talking about, then Hoch Deutsch was used as none of them could understand that!
    We were in CH last week and the Mrs (fluent in German) says to her the Swiss speak like they're trying to eradicate all vowels...

Comment

I'd be doomed if reciprocal action took place here. Or i'd learn quick sharp.
      Last edited by scooterscot; 7 July 2016, 07:47.
      "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by scooterscot View Post
        I'd be doomed if receperacape action took place here. Or i'd learn quick sharp.
        Receperacape lol!

Comment

Originally posted by stek View Post
          Receperacape lol!
          The coffee has not yet filtered through. I'll struggle with one language until it does...
          "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

Comment

FTFY
            Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
            It always amazes me when people go to Arab countries then moan, usually from their Midnight Express style cell, when they do things allowed in the UK but not allowed locally.
            The Chunt of Chunts.

Comment

Originally posted by barrydidit View Post
              Hmmm, people in Sheffield that nobody can understand... Are we sure they aren't just from Barnsley?

Originally posted by stek View Post
              We were in CH last week and the Mrs (fluent in German) says to her the Swiss speak like they're trying to eradicate all vowels...
              Swiss German isn't a language. It's a throat disease.
              Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post

Going to Zurich next week. Wonder how my bayerische deutsch will cope.

Comment

Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post
                  When I was doing German lessons the teacher (who was Hungarian) said she thought she was fluent until the day she went to Switzerland and couldn't understand a word.

What I remember most about going to the Zurich area was hearing "Merci-schön".
                  Will work inside IR35. Or for food.

Comment

Originally posted by VectraMan View Post
                    This makes me sad. Although most of us have evolved beyond thinking we're defined by our national identity, it's still hard not to feel a little embarrassed to be British when you read that sort of thing.
                    he is just being a tosser NLYUK charged him extra for the 'Golden colonic' ignore him.
                    Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Originally posted by VectraMan View Post
                      I had a colleague who had Punjabi as his native language and he said he had relatives that spoke Hindi, but even though he spoke some Hindi they'd end up talking to each other in English as that was easier.

We're so lucky that English became the international language.
                      You can say thanks to our North American friends.

Comment

Working...
                      X