• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

"I read somewhere..."

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

one for MM

Channel 4's Dispatches shows the landlords making £1m a year from housing benefits | Daily Mail Online

Revealed: The 200 landlords making £1MILLION a year from housing benefits
    One letting agent made £2million from the taxpayer in the last three years
    Private landlords get £9billion a year to house people with housing benefits
    Documentary shows North London landlords convert houses into tiny units
    Means they can claim higher rate of benefit than if renting out shared house
    Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

what a surprise

Ministers accused of hiding true scale of migration and real number may not emerge until eve of referendum - Telegraph

Ministers accused of hiding true scale of migration and real number may not emerge until eve of referendum
      Britain's official statistics body announces review into migrant figures amid concerns real figure could be significantly higher

The Office for National Statistics has announced an official review of migration figures amid concerns that hundreds and thousands more migrants have come to Britain than figures suggest.
      According to official figures 1million EU migrants came to Britain over the past five years, but over that same period 2.25million registered for national insurance numbers.
      Eurosceptic Cabinet ministers have called on David Cameron to publish figures revealing the number of active insurance numbers being used by migrants.

and for the highbrow readers

Migration cover-up fears growing as HMRC refuse to provide National Insurance figures | Daily Mail Online

Migration cover-up fears growing as HMRC refuse to provide National Insurance figures that could show as many as 1.3MILLION extra EU citizens are living in Britain
      Officials block release on number of 'active' NI numbers held by foreigners
      Information could reveal there are far more EU citizens in UK than expected
      ONS figures show 904,000 EU migrants have come to Britain since 2010
      Government has however issued 2.2 million NI numbers to EU migrants

Comment

Brexit!

Comment

Immigrants making millions from the public purse to house the other 1,000,000 immigrants on their way to claim benefits.

But it's all good for Britain, the millionaire super-yacht living Tony Bliar told us over and over again in his sweaty speeches....

Comment

As even the Daily Mail say the ONS figures count people who stay for a year or more, whereas people arriving and working for a few months and leaving need an NI number. And we know that happens.

Perhaps the Kippers would also like to count the 35 million or so toursits that come to Britain every year, spend a couple of weeks looking around and spending money and leaving again. After all immigration figures could be 35 million more than thought.

Another non-story.
            Will work inside IR35. Or for food.

Comment

Originally posted by VectraMan View Post
              As even the Daily Mail say the ONS figures count people who stay for a year or more, whereas people arriving and working for a few months and leaving need an NI number. And we know that happens.

Perhaps the Kippers would also like to count the 35 million or so toursits that come to Britain every year, spend a couple of weeks looking around and spending money and leaving again. After all immigration figures could be 35 million more than thought.

Another non-story.
              over half of the people who come here expressly to work go home within a year? Not sure you can support that easily. If I had spent a significant amount in my own currency to come here to earn 3->7 times the salary I'm sure I would pop back home after 3 months.

That would be why they have asked for active NI numbers, i.e. that are in use.

If you were in interested in tourists then the equivalent would be those with a valid Visa & those overstaying.

Comment

Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post
                Brexit!
                I still find it hard believe that things, which hold as much import to peoples lives as leaving a union of countries which by some has been held up as the main reason we have had no real wars between "Euro" nations, are summed up with childish word morphing like "Grexit" & "Brexit".

To have established, supposedly serious newscasters, from all outlets, referring to it with this childish language I find, frankly, quite shocking.

Comment

Originally posted by OnceStonedRose View Post
                  I still find it hard believe that things, which hold as much import to peoples lives as leaving a union of countries which by some has been held up as the main reason we have had no real wars between "Euro" nations, are summed up with childish word morphing like "Grexit" & "Brexit".

To have established, supposedly serious newscasters, from all outlets, referring to it with this childish language I find, frankly, quite shocking.
                  I call it Brex for short now.

HTH BIDI

Comment

Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post
                    I call it Brex for short now.

HTH BIDI
                    Why would you hope it helps?

This childish use of acronyms on internet foru.........

Comment

Originally posted by vetran View Post
                      over half of the people who come here expressly to work go home within a year? Not sure you can support that easily. If I had spent a significant amount in my own currency to come here to earn 3->7 times the salary I'm sure I would pop back home after 3 months.
                      We know a large number of jobs that immigrants fill are seasonal; i.e. fruit pickers. Spending a couple of months a year in a foreign country then going home is a long standing tradition, especially among younger people including young British people. Flexible workforce: isn't that what people here claim to be and claim is what drives the economy? Perhaps more people registering to work than are listed as permanently staying is proof the system works.

It would be interesting to see the figures on how many of those NI numbers were in long term use I agree.
                      Will work inside IR35. Or for food.

Comment

Working...
                      X