• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Should the Lords prayer be banned?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
    Lord's Prayer cinema ad ban 'bewilders' Church of England - BBC News

In a statement, DCM said it had a policy of not accepting political or religious advertising content in its cinemas.
    I think it is a business decision, and probably ok.

Is discriminating against all religious groups legal? Obviously a notice outside a B&B that said "no Muslims" would be illegal, but one saying "no religious people"?

I also wonder what would have happened if Dawkins mob had got there first and wanted their "God probably doesn't exist..." advert in the cinemas. Would that have been permitted? Atheists argue that their stance is not religious. And it certainly isn't political.
    Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Originally posted by unixman View Post
      I don't think anyone has suggested the advertisers should be forced. Only that they were wrong to decline to show the advert ("ban" it). As a side issue, they are also breaking their contract with CoE.
      They have a contract?

Even if true, a breach of contract is remedied by civil action, not newspaper opinion.

Comment

Originally posted by meridian View Post
        They have a contract?

Even if true, a breach of contract is remedied by civil action, not newspaper opinion.
        Sounded to me more like they refused to contract.

Anyway, I reckon the best bet (which will never happen) is ban advertising. Maybe then we could return to products of quality and bring an end to the cyclical consumption retardation which has overtaken the world.
        I'm a smug bastard.

Comment

Ban Christmas ads if you don’t like religion, Church tells cinemas - Telegraph

Its a good point.....

Comment

Originally posted by meridian View Post
            They have a contract?

That is only true if the government break a contract.

Businesses will listen to public opinion.

Its just a pity that no muslim group has put an advert in a Cinema. I would like to fund one. See how much bottle the cinemas have.

Comment

Agreed, if you want to ban one, you should ban the other.

Is discriminating against all religious groups legal? Obviously a notice outside a B&B that said "no Muslims" would be illegal, but one saying "no religious people"?
              Sounds like a way forward to me, lets ban all religions
              The Chunt of Chunts.

Comment

Like Christmas is anything to do with religion.

And I'd love to see Christmas ads banned. And for that matter Christmas, but that's probably a bit radical.
                Will work inside IR35. Or for food.

Comment

“If they want to be consistent on not carrying any ads that have any connection with religious belief, I'd like them to cancel all ads linked to Christmas as a Christian festival.
                  Yes, this would be consistent with DCM's apparent policy of not promoting political or religious advertising.

"If they'd like to apply it consistently, ban every ad that mentions Christmas.”
                  No, this would not be consistent as it assumes that what we commonly call "Christmas" is the sole domain of Christians. There are many cultural references to Christmas that have nothing to do with Jesus. Even the image of Santa that we currently have (fat guy in a red suit) is a non-denominational advertising construct.

Comment

Originally posted by MrMarkyMark View Post
                    Sounds like a way forward to me, lets ban all religions
                    I would go along with that if we could ban all the science pseudo religious stuff. We are just holograms projected from the edge of the universe. The AGW and anti-AGW lot.

However 1 in 4(or was it 1 in 3?) people believe they have a guardian angel. There is a huge thirst for what is beyond the physical. Or is it because most people are stupid?

Either way, people need to be protected from "scientists".

I wish I had enough faith to be sure that God does not exist.....

Comment

BP. Now don't go and ruin xmas by trying to bring religion into it. Whats the matter with you? ;-)
                      Rhyddid i lofnod psychocandy!!!!

Comment

Working...
                      X