• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

What Would be Your No.1 Reason for Quitting the UK?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Being picked as a permanent settler on Mars, seriously.

They won't just choose mega-fit ex-USAF types, as they did for the Apollo program.

For a start, most of the spacecraft and terrain vehicles will be automated and larger, and thus far less of a challenge to fly and occupy. Also, with the increased radiation hazard of much longer space trips, older people are actually better because it matters less if their DNA is clobbered by cosmic rays, and they are generally more laid back and mellow and hence there is less chance of friction and conflict.

Also, for obvious reasons, older people may be more suitable for a no-return trip.

But think of the kudos of having places named after one - OwlHoot City, OwlHoot Spaceport, etc

(Actually, if human populations don't decline naturally, I reckon one day volunteering for a one-way space trip will literally be the only alternative for most old timers to avoid being "terminated" to make room on Earth for the young.)
    Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

Comment

That's always my point, we pay a lot of tax, but, don't really see where it is been spent.

This is unlike places like the Netherlands, Denmark etc. where you pay a lot, but you can see where it goes.

Car tax is another, the old man said they should get enough in to tarmac the whole country.

The reality is poor quality roads, full of road works, with no one working
      The Chunt of Chunts.

Comment

What Would be Your No.1 Reason for Quitting the UK?

Too many baby boomer grey haired brigade is a big driver for me.

Though I Iike the style of this old lady!

Last edited by PurpleGorilla; 20 November 2015, 12:24.
        http://www.cih.org/news-article/disp...housing_market

Comment

Originally posted by PurpleGorilla View Post
          Too many baby boomer grey haired brigade is a big driver for me.
          Grecian 2000 is the answer.

Comment

These two chaps are a big push too...

http://www.cih.org/news-article/disp...housing_market

Comment

Originally posted by MrMarkyMark View Post
              That's always my point, we pay a lot of tax, but, don't really see where it is been spent.

This is unlike places like the Netherlands, Denmark etc. where you pay a lot, but you can see where it goes.
              We pay less tax than those countries but still get free healthcare, free education and a half-decent welfare system.
              Originally posted by MaryPoppins
              I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
              Originally posted by vetran
              Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Originally posted by LucidDementia View Post
                Live in London? That really isn't the UK. From my balcony my rifle can't hit my neighbour.

That says more about your skills as a marksman.

From my house I can only see my neighbour through her net curtains if I use the really long lens on my camera.
                …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
                  We pay less tax than those countries but still get free healthcare, free education and a half-decent welfare system.
                  I know we pay less, however, I see poor value, compared to those places, is my point.
                  The Chunt of Chunts.

Comment

From my house I can only see my neighbour through her net curtains if I use the really long lens on my camera.
                    Get yourself some binoculars, on a stand, far more convenient, hands free
                    The Chunt of Chunts.

Comment

It was so long ago, I don't remember why.
                      But I am sure a short visit, would refresh my memory very quickly. I may not even have to leave Heathrow.
                      Fiscal nomad it's legal.

Comment

Working...
                      X