• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "What Would be Your No.1 Reason for Quitting the UK?"

Collapse

• MattZani
    replied
    Number 1 reason to leave? Getting a girl pregnant

Leave a comment:

• alreadypacked
    replied
    It was so long ago, I don't remember why.
    But I am sure a short visit, would refresh my memory very quickly. I may not even have to leave Heathrow.

Leave a comment:

• MrMarkyMark
    replied
    From my house I can only see my neighbour through her net curtains if I use the really long lens on my camera.
    Get yourself some binoculars, on a stand, far more convenient, hands free

Leave a comment:

• MrMarkyMark
    replied
    Originally posted by d000hg View Post
    We pay less tax than those countries but still get free healthcare, free education and a half-decent welfare system.
    I know we pay less, however, I see poor value, compared to those places, is my point.

Leave a comment:

• WTFH
    replied
    Originally posted by LucidDementia View Post
    Live in London? That really isn't the UK. From my balcony my rifle can't hit my neighbour.

That says more about your skills as a marksman.

From my house I can only see my neighbour through her net curtains if I use the really long lens on my camera.

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied
    Originally posted by MrMarkyMark View Post
    That's always my point, we pay a lot of tax, but, don't really see where it is been spent.

This is unlike places like the Netherlands, Denmark etc. where you pay a lot, but you can see where it goes.
    We pay less tax than those countries but still get free healthcare, free education and a half-decent welfare system.

Leave a comment:

• PurpleGorilla
    replied
    These two chaps are a big push too...

Leave a comment:

• DimPrawn
    replied
    Originally posted by PurpleGorilla View Post
    Too many baby boomer grey haired brigade is a big driver for me.
    Grecian 2000 is the answer.

Leave a comment:

• PurpleGorilla
    replied
    What Would be Your No.1 Reason for Quitting the UK?

Too many baby boomer grey haired brigade is a big driver for me.

Though I Iike the style of this old lady!

Last edited by PurpleGorilla; 20 November 2015, 12:24.

Leave a comment:

• MrMarkyMark
    replied
    That's always my point, we pay a lot of tax, but, don't really see where it is been spent.

This is unlike places like the Netherlands, Denmark etc. where you pay a lot, but you can see where it goes.

Car tax is another, the old man said they should get enough in to tarmac the whole country.

The reality is poor quality roads, full of road works, with no one working

Leave a comment:

• OwlHoot
    replied
    Being picked as a permanent settler on Mars, seriously.

They won't just choose mega-fit ex-USAF types, as they did for the Apollo program.

For a start, most of the spacecraft and terrain vehicles will be automated and larger, and thus far less of a challenge to fly and occupy. Also, with the increased radiation hazard of much longer space trips, older people are actually better because it matters less if their DNA is clobbered by cosmic rays, and they are generally more laid back and mellow and hence there is less chance of friction and conflict.

Also, for obvious reasons, older people may be more suitable for a no-return trip.

But think of the kudos of having places named after one - OwlHoot City, OwlHoot Spaceport, etc

(Actually, if human populations don't decline naturally, I reckon one day volunteering for a one-way space trip will literally be the only alternative for most old timers to avoid being "terminated" to make room on Earth for the young.)

Leave a comment:

• Zero Liability
    replied
    Originally posted by ChimpMaster View Post
    Definitely HMRC's aggressive attack on small businesses for me. And the government's incessant tinkering attempts at grabbing as much tax as they can.

Just doesn't seem worth the stress any more.
    That, and their persistent failure in reining spending and consequently borrowing and money printing.

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied
    Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post
    They don't feel like the govt are constantly trying to destroy them at every turn. They feel supported and appreciated.
    I don't think you lot would fit in

Leave a comment:

• DimPrawn
    replied
    Originally posted by ChimpMaster View Post
    Definitely HMRC's aggressive attack on small businesses for me. And the government's incessant tinkering attempts at grabbing as much tax as they can.

I know a few people who have emigrated to NZ and Australia, and yes, you have to work and yes you have to pay tax, but the lifestyle is so much more outdoor, relaxed and social. They don't feel like the govt are constantly trying to destroy them at every turn. They feel supported and appreciated.

Leave a comment:

• ChimpMaster
    replied

Leave a comment:

Working...
X