• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Motorists face 'zero tolerance' approach to speeding on the motorways

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by WTFH View Post
    Zero tolerance would work if car speedos were also zero tolerant, which they aren't.
    Correct - there is a chance your speedo will show you as going faster than you actually are, therefore you cannot say you "thought you were doing the limit, but the speedo was wrong" as an excuse for speeding.

You can use it as an excuse for driving too slowly if you like.

Comment

Originally posted by Forgotmylogin View Post
      Correct - there is a chance your speedo will show you as going faster than you actually are, therefore you cannot say you "thought you were doing the limit, but the speedo was wrong" as an excuse for speeding.

My car has a speedo that goes up to 260, since you can switch it from mph to kph. 30mph is like 11% of the whole range of it, hard to tell 30mph from 34mph which is what I got done for.

And I was late for the speed awareness course, had to drive like the clappers to get there on time.......

Comment

Originally posted by stek View Post
        My car has a speedo that goes up to 260, since you can switch it from mph to kph. 30mph is like 11% of the whole range of it, hard to tell 30mph from 34mph which is what I got done for.

And I was late for the speed awareness course, had to drive like the clappers to get there on time.......

Who cares if the speedo goes up to 260 kph if you need to see the speed in mph? What a load of bollox. You mean your speedo goes up to 160 mph. So what?

My last car had a digital speedo, my current car has a needle, but with the cruise control on it also displays the speed in a digital display.

Comment

Who cares if the speedo goes up to 260 kph if you need to see the speed in mph? What a load of bollox. You mean your speedo goes up to 160 mph. So what?

My last car had a digital speedo, my current car has a needle, but with the cruise control on it also displays the speed in a digital display.
          Wind your neck in, son. Speedo goes from 0-260, and the needle recalibrates when I set it to between mph or kph and a little display comes on that says either mph or kph. It's not digital, it's good old numbers in an arc and a needle.

This is it (knew I had a pic of it). I defy anyone to tell 33 mph (legal) from 34 mph (not legal) on that! I'm not denying I wasn't speeding, I was.

Last edited by stek; 5 November 2015, 12:29.

Comment

Originally posted by Chuck View Post
            How enlightening. I'd never realised that anti-social parking was a class-based thing.
            According to Dodgy Agent, any rules/laws about motoring are class-based.
            …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

Originally posted by WTFH View Post
              Zero tolerance would work if car speedos were also zero tolerant, which they aren't.
              But they generally over-read. And I think cameras usually have a slight tolerance (even in a zero-tolerance scheme) so that if you slip up to 72 you don't get fined.

Plus, GPS will probably be fitted as standard at some point.
              Originally posted by MaryPoppins
              I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
              Originally posted by vetran
              Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Wind your neck in, son. Speedo goes from 0-260, and the needle recalibrates when I set it to between mph or kph and a little display comes on that says either mph or kph. It's not digital, it's good old numbers in an arc and a needle.

This is it (knew I had a pic of it)..
                I can quite clearly see where 30 is on that, and also 35, which is the minimum the speedo would have been showing if you were actually doing 34.

Maybe an eye-test is in order? Or just replace the plastic front to the dashboard display with a magnifying glass.

Comment

Unless you use the excuse "my car speedo is out by 10% so when it says 77 it means 70"... then the cop says that the speedo was out by 2mph.

Car speedos (unless they are GPS based) will also vary due to tyre pressure (which is linked to the temperature according to Robert Boyle) and the tyre/wheel size. As the tread wears down the speedo will read higher, if the tyre is under-inflated, the speedo will read higher. Basically, if the overall tyre+wheel diameter is not as per when the car was calibrated, then the speedo will read wrong.
                  …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

I can quite clearly see where 30 is on that, and also 35...
                    Frequent masturbation does have it's benefits then. I struggled to see the difference but then again I'm not a wànker.

Comment

This is it (knew I had a pic of it). I defy anyone to tell 33 mph (legal) from 34 mph (not legal) on that! I'm not denying I wasn't speeding, I was.

I have just reported you to the police for not having your seatbelt on
                      Let us not forget EU open doors immigration benefits IT contractors more than anyone

Comment

Working...
                      X