• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

What's on your wrist?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My Dad lusted after his rolex all his life, after reading about Rolex giving a load to WWII pilots. They didnt have to pay upfront for them just use them and then pay on their return.

Out of all the ones issued I think only 1 wasn't paid for.

I ogled this on my dads wrist for as long as i can remember, he replaced it with an explorer II because the contrast on the face was better but this one was always his watch.

Like I say left in my care until my son is of age... that's why i got MY Breitling
    If you think it's expensive to hire a professional to do the job, wait until you hire an amateur. - Red Adair

Comment

Originally posted by Bluespider View Post
      Like I say left in my care until my son is of age... that's why i got MY Breitling
      He will surely take it, throw you in a care home, sell it and head to Jamaica

Comment

Originally posted by LucidDementia View Post
        He didn't have a problem at all until recently. It's been stopping in the night.
        He thinks it's because it needs a service. I think it's because he's now 72 and he doesn't move anywhere near as much as he used to so he's not winding it.
        It's going to be serviced anyway now as he scratched the glass messing with his beehive - I guess we'll see.

As for keeping better time; I'll specifically ask him but I doubt it's an issue or he'd have enjoyed a good moan/chinwag about it.
        Last service i got for the Rolex was 470 quid and it took 12 weeks because Rolex had such a backlog.
        I didn't have the Breitling at the time so I got this to see me through the bare wrist months:

its my manual work watch now, until i get either a submariner proper or a daytona
        If you think it's expensive to hire a professional to do the job, wait until you hire an amateur. - Red Adair

Comment

Originally posted by MrMarkyMark View Post
          Maybe the first time around.

The old man had one of these bad boys, released in 1978

Some day, all watches will be made this way.

Comment

Originally posted by unixman View Post
            Some day, all watches will be made this way.
            This was kind of my point with this thread...

technically speaking we should all be wearing ultra accurate quartz or other suitably modern technology that syncs with nuclear clocks by radio waves bounced off of saturn.

So why do I lust after a hand made intricate time piece that has its technical roots hundreds of years ago?

I think I just answered my own question...

Comment

Originally posted by Bluespider View Post
              My Dad lusted after his rolex all his life, after reading about Rolex giving a load to WWII pilots. They didnt have to pay upfront for them just use them and then pay on their return.
              My dad told me this story also, they come up for sale, on occasion.

I think I just answered my own question...
              Exactly, quality talks
              The Chunt of Chunts.

Comment

I've got a datejust (16234) which I hardly ever wear, feels a bit to blingy. Most days I just wear a swatch.

Comment

Originally posted by Antman View Post
                  I've got a datejust (16234) which I hardly ever wear, feels a bit to blingy. Most days I just wear a swatch.
                  To go along with your Converse and that spike through your upper lip?
                  I'm a smug bastard.

Comment

Originally posted by LucidDementia View Post
                    To go along with your Converse and that spike through your upper lip?
                    errm, how did you guess?

Comment

I've got a datejust (16234) which I hardly ever wear, feels a bit to blingy.
                      Some can be.
                      Plain and stainless are nice, I certainly wouldn't say those are too blingy.

Most days I just wear a swatch.
                      Now that's just plain wrong.
                      Are you sure you are cut out to be a contractor
                      The Chunt of Chunts.

Comment

Working...
                      X