• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Dress Code at Work

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Why do we do it though? It's so pointless.
    ⭐️ Gold Star Contractor

Comment

Originally posted by PerfectStorm View Post
      What? Wear clothes?
      'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

I saw a very confident ponytailed chap stride by in a kilt at the office this afternoon.
        Did he have "Vote for Scottish Independence" badge on?

The Chunt of Chunts.

Comment

Originally posted by PerfectStorm View Post
          Stubborn Traditionalism.

Comment

I can honestly say I have never worn a suit while contracting.
            In fact I haven't worn one for an interview, for the last few years.
            I still like to dress fairly smart though, on the whole.

As an external supplier you should be able to wear exactly what you want.
            You might get a few comments, however, these are usually easily batted away.
            The Chunt of Chunts.

Comment

Originally posted by MrMarkyMark View Post
              I can honestly say I have never worn a suit while contracting.
              In fact I haven't worn one for an interview, for the last few years.
              I still like to dress fairly smart though, on the whole.

As an external supplier you should be able to wear exactly what you want.
              You might get a few comments, however, these are usually easily batted away.
              As an external supplier you should address according to what the client expects. If you tip up in whatever you want then you are effectively saying to the client that he deals with you on your terms not his. Of course dress is only a small part of the relationship and most people with emotional intelligence will feel their way into an organisation by starting off by dressing smartly and respectfully. Wearing what "you want" from day one smacks of entitlement and arrogance.
              Let us not forget EU open doors immigration benefits IT contractors more than anyone

Comment

Originally posted by DodgyAgent View Post
                Of course dress is only a small part of the relationship and most people with emotional intelligence will feel their way into an organisation by starting off by dressing smartly and respectfully. Wearing what "you want" from day one smacks of entitlement and arrogance.
                Thanks for your kindness. I've collected plenty of gold dust from you over the past couple of days

Comment

If you tip up in whatever you want then you are effectively saying to the client that he deals with you on your terms not his.
                  I didn't say I tipped up in whatever I want.

Yes, the client does deal with my terms as well as his.
                  15+ years in, works for me.

Luckily clients focus on my proven ability to deliver, not what I wear
                  The Chunt of Chunts.

Comment

I always turn up for interviews suited and booted; I look at dress code within the office to guage what should normally be worn.
                    The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world that he didn't exist

Comment

Originally posted by LondonManc View Post
                      I always turn up for interviews suited and booted
                      Can be difficult when attending interviews and you are at a client where casual is worn.
                      I have let clients know in advance not to expect the usual shirt and tie for that very reason.

You don't always want people to know you might have a few extra cards in your pack, weakens potential negotiations.
                      The Chunt of Chunts.

Comment

Working...
                      X