• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Getting an Extension

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Gumbo Robot View Post
    I'd be getting 4.3 x 3.5 m 2 storey extension (stone walls with pitched roof), 2 x 3 m single storey garden room, whole roof re-tile (existing one leaks), internal alterations Inc en suite bathroom to adjoin new bedroom, downstairs bog & some new windows to address aforementioned light issues.

Just been quoted £84,350 net.
    When are your next 2 quotes coming in?

Comment

Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
      When are your next 2 quotes coming in?
      Trying to get some more people in to quote at the moment....

I originally had an architect who did the plans for planning consent & she was going to manage the putting out to tender side of things but I decided she was one overhead I could do without.

Comment

My brother got round the light issue by shoving a Dorma window in the roof. Above the bathroom. It was sort of tunneled through the loft, giving the bathroom a high ceiling with natural light.

Then his family continued to grow and eventually they moved somewhere bigger. Being the north east of england, he bought something the size of Blenheim Palace and still had change from a tenner.

Comment

Just been quoted £84,350 net.
          Blimey. I thought that's about what it costs to build a whole house! In fact I'm sure I've seen new-build properties being sold brand new for less than that!
          Originally posted by MaryPoppins
          I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
          Originally posted by vetran
          Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Originally posted by unixman View Post
            My brother got round the light issue by shoving a Dorma window in the roof. Above the bathroom. It was sort of tunneled through the loft, giving the bathroom a high ceiling with natural light.

We put sun tubes in the downstairs bathroom & utility. All you need is daylight and the rooms are bright.
            …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
              Blimey. I thought that's about what it costs to build a whole house! In fact I'm sure I've seen new-build properties being sold brand new for less than that!
              3 months IT contractor pay, seems reasonable to me.

Comment

Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post
                3 months IT contractor pay, seems reasonable to me.
                I'd rather the work wasn't done by an IT contractor...
                Originally posted by MaryPoppins
                I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
                Originally posted by vetran
                Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Remember, when your contractor turns up on site, don't forget to treat him entirely like an employee: give him a "job description", hold a performance review, ask him to sign up to your company values. And halfway through the build, ask him to architect some new houses for you. All as part of the original price, obviously.

Comment

neglected the VAT
                    A surprising number of builders are not VAT registered. Quite how they manage this I don't know, although offering to pay in cash might help.

Serious point, shop around. I had an extension built in 2000 and there was no VAT charged and the builder was totally legit.

Comment

Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post
                      No way I would entertain such a thing unless I'd worked at least 10 years in the construction industry. An the people you are dealing with tend to look like Eastern European mass murderers so good luck telling them they have caused a problem or not done the job properly.
                      Keeps the missus on her toes while you build that new patio, eh?

Comment

Working...
                      X