• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Getting an Extension

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post
    Yes, extension usually works out cheaper, but this is what earning megabucks is for. Quick, clean, hassle free solution.
    Agreed but like I said, we weighed up pros and cons of the area and how much extra the enemy would want to spend on the new house to get it how she'd want it, together with the extra costs/hassle for the kids of getting to the school/college they're at.
    The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world that he didn't exist

Comment

I know nothing about building, but extended houses always tend to be dark. But there are better examples. OP asked about extend vs buy. Buying round my way, you will pay about 100k per bedroom. So extending looks like a good deal.

Don't forget to shove CAT6 cables everywhere. Stuff 'em in.

Comment

Midway through an extension on Prawn Towers.

Other half works in the building trade (like Halo Jones i spose) and like she says, you gotta know what you are doing and know the building regs inspectors well. It's a nightmare getting different trades doing the right things at the right time without misunderstandings, confusion on who it paying for what and supplying what to which spec, deliveries of materials, no shows on trades .

No way I would entertain such a thing unless I'd worked at least 10 years in the construction industry. An the people you are dealing with tend to look like Eastern European mass murderers so good luck telling them they have caused a problem or not done the job properly.

Get a recomended local building company with good reviews, see some of their previous work, talk to their customers.

And personally I think moving to a bigger/better house beats the stress, dust, hassle of building work everytime
        Houses are not selling particularly well round here.

There aren't many local buyers - all seems to be London weekenders & as I mentioned in a previous post, they're a right PITA.

After 4 months, I've had 1 buyer fall through & am back to square 1 again. Also haven't found anywhere that ticks all the boxes.

I like where I am at the moment, just need more space that's all & I need to justify the costs.

Comment

Originally posted by unixman View Post
          I know nothing about building, but extended houses always tend to be dark. But there are better examples. OP asked about extend vs buy. Buying round my way, you will pay about 100k per bedroom. So extending looks like a good deal.

My extension is 50% glass, I think old extensions tended to be very dark, but now thanks to programmes like Grand Designs, people are more adventurous with big glass, folding doors, skylights and glass lanterns.

Comment

thanks to programmes like Grand Designs, people are more adventurous with big glass, folding doors, skylights and glass lanterns.
            You just knock out all the walls and floors and have one massive, double-height room with bedrooms on a mezzanine
            Originally posted by MaryPoppins
            I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
            Originally posted by vetran
            Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Can you get 15% permitted development?

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
                You just knock out all the walls and floors and have one massive, double-height room with bedrooms on a mezzanine
                And make the whole thing out of glass.

Local window cleaner will love you forever.

Comment

Yes, extension usually works out cheaper, but this is what earning megabucks is for. Quick, clean, hassle free solution.

Our architect said our extension would be about £40k based on his original plans. After planning got their hands on it, that went up to £60k (the trouble with living in a 200 year old house in a conservation area). Final spend was a smidgen under £120k (although about 15k of that was extras we put in along the way)

It's a good idea to check that your house has foundations (and the neighbours as well).
                  Also, with older buildings, have a structural engineer on standby - ours got a phone call on a Tuesday from the PM when the back of the house looked a bit unstable. Wednesday afternoon four box girders arrive, cut and drilled to size to fit the opening.
                  …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

Local window cleaner will love you forever.
                    One of those programs had glass that resisted dirt.

Paying the window cleaner is then one less job for the butler.

Comment

Originally posted by unixman View Post

I'd be getting 4.3 x 3.5 m 2 storey extension (stone walls with pitched roof), 2 x 3 m single storey garden room, whole roof re-tile (existing one leaks), internal alterations Inc en suite bathroom to adjoin new bedroom, downstairs bog & some new windows to address aforementioned light issues.

Just been quoted £84,350 net.

Comment

Working...
                      X