• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Getting an Extension

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
    Ensure the new drain has some kind of mesh guard, so the money can't fall down the drain
    Already have to keep the rats out

Comment

ah £15k tax ignore me.

so £75k budget.
      Last edited by vetran; 8 September 2015, 08:24.
      Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Originally posted by Gumbo Robot View Post
        That said, I don't want to be throwing money down the drain.
        As the project manager / client all the subbies will see you as fair game & you will soon be getting charges for standing time, programme delays (it’s your fault if the sparky runs late which impacts the dry liners)

They will soon realise that you do not know construction & make the most of your lack of knowledge.

As a construction profession I would consider this option but only if
        1) Subbies sign up to & work to the sub contracts I propose (not their T&C’s)
        2) I took x months off of work to be on site full time – PM is a full time role.

Yes you will pay more (in the short term) to get a builder to do all the works but there are benefits;

1) Single warranty come-back
        2) Delays & standing time to trade A caused by Trade B is their problem & they can’t pass the cost on to you (assuming you agree to a lump sum D&B contract)
        3) Interfacing is not an issue i.e. Trade A saying item X is not in their package but should be in Trade B’s works & trade B saying not us Guv (eg sole plates & hangers to the top of the brick work to fix the roof trusses too; normally in the Brickies package but would you know that?)
        4) Material delivery delays & increase in costs – there is a 6 week lead-in on some bricks at present.
        5) Detail & specification is not your problem: the devil is in the detail.
        6) A single supply company will be motivated to finish on time, separate subbies have separate motivations

If you need a suggestion on form of contract the (Un-amended) JCT Minor Works 2011 (with or without design, depending on whose design you are using)

Hope this has not bored you too much & is of use. (anyone would think this was my job )
        Growing old is mandatory
        Growing up is optional

Comment

Originally posted by Halo Jones View Post
          Impressive stuff
          You know a thing or two about 'extensions' lass. If only you could help ....

Comment

As Red Adair said: If you think it's expensive to hire a professional to do the job, wait until you hire an amateur

So, sure you can cut corners here and there, but it depends on whether you want a good job that will last a long time, or something to survive for a few years until you move on.
            Also, depending on the age of the property may affect how much over budget & time you end up going.

As for builders, get a local one who is recommended by locals
            …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

Originally posted by FatLazyContractor View Post
              As a Chartered Surveyor (QS) I should hope so.

But I think that you are beyond help
              Growing old is mandatory
              Growing up is optional

Comment

Midway through an extension on Prawn Towers.

Other half works in the building trade (like Halo Jones i spose) and like she says, you gotta know what you are doing and know the building regs inspectors well. It's a nightmare getting different trades doing the right things at the right time without misunderstandings, confusion on who it paying for what and supplying what to which spec, deliveries of materials, no shows on trades .

No way I would entertain such a thing unless I'd worked at least 10 years in the construction industry. An the people you are dealing with tend to look like Eastern European mass murderers so good luck telling them they have caused a problem or not done the job properly.

Get a recomended local building company with good reviews, see some of their previous work, talk to their customers.

And personally I think moving to a bigger/better house beats the stress, dust, hassle of building work everytime.

Comment

Originally posted by FatLazyContractor View Post
                  you probably need an RSJ in there. Should keep Mrs FLC happy.
                  Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

We weighed up the benefits of moving v extension and went with an extension. For the sort of house that we'd end up with given the extension, we'd be paying an extra £100k + moving costs (houses of the new size that we'll have are generally in a slightly posher area so come at a premium but the location itself isn't as good for shops, school, public transport, etc.) So for the £60k extension, we're getting what we wanted without moving.
                    The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world that he didn't exist

Comment

Originally posted by LondonManc View Post
                      We weighed up the benefits of moving v extension and went with an extension. For the sort of house that we'd end up with given the extension, we'd be paying an extra £100k + moving costs (houses of the new size that we'll have are generally in a slightly posher area so come at a premium but the location itself isn't as good for shops, school, public transport, etc.) So for the £60k extension, we're getting what we wanted without moving.
                      Yes, extension usually works out cheaper, but this is what earning megabucks is for. Quick, clean, hassle free solution.

Comment

Working...
                      X