• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

UK net migration hits record high

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
    I have no problem with them coming here and not speaking English. I went abroad and didn't speak the local language.

They come here for many different reasons e.g following English speaking partner abroad, to see what the hype is about the country they seen and heard do much about.

They also don't all end up in low paying jobs in the service sector though they end up in export businesses which has nothing to do with their qualifications. This is due to speaking 2 languages. (Anyone who speaks fluent German can always find a job in the UK. ) They then have no choice but to learn English properly if they want to communicate effectively with all their colleagues etc which they do.
    You keep talking about the benefit to the migrants, and not discussing any benefit (or otherwise) to the UK. If some one wants to "see what they hype is" then there are perfectly good tourist visas available.

As for speaking the language, you tried to argue a page back that there were scientists and engineers unable to get jobs outside of the service industry due to not speaking English, now you say that that's okay? Make your mind up. Just how many service workers does the UK need?

Comment

Originally posted by meridian View Post
      You keep talking about the benefit to the migrants, and not discussing any benefit (or otherwise) to the UK. If some one wants to "see what they hype is" then there are perfectly good tourist visas available.

As for speaking the language, you tried to argue a page back that there were scientists and engineers unable to get jobs outside of the service industry due to not speaking English, now you say that that's okay? Make your mind up. Just how many service workers does the UK need?
      There is no quota for the number of jobs in capitalist based systems. I know this comes as a shock for you but that's the underlying principle. The more wealthy a country is the more jobs that will be created.

So if I have a vacancy available I want someone to fill it asap so I can make more money. I will then hopefully spend, save and invest that money using businesses in the UK (and so hopefully will my employees).

If I have to fill that job with someone who has more academic ability than the job needs I don't care as long as they do the work to a decent standard.

The job may involve the requirement to speak fluent English or it may have a requirement to speak some* English but have the ability to improve. I then choose my candidates appropriately.

While the public sector has quotas even this is not fixed. For example in the health service while the government works out how many training places they need it comes down to what can be afforded. They know they will probably need more people than are trained so are reliant on the fact some countries train to many of a particular type of worker e.g. the Philippines purposely trains up lots of nurses so they can go overseas.

*some is subjective. Lots of employers won't put up with people who don't try.
      "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

If I have to fill that job with someone who has more academic ability than the job needs I don't care as long as they do the work to a decent standard.
        Exactly, you don't care where they come from, and if it means that other taxpayers need to pay for the dole for a Brit because someone else took that low-paying service job of yours, you don't care because you're making money.

You still haven't explained why the UK needs unfettered immigration.

Comment

Originally posted by meridian View Post
          Exactly, you don't care where they come from, and if it means that other taxpayers need to pay for the dole for a Brit because someone else took that low-paying service job of yours, you don't care because you're making money.

You still haven't explained why the UK needs unfettered immigration.
          So just because you are British and on the dole in Hull you have a divine right to be given a job in Birmingham?

No one has a divine right to be given work.

You need to be either in the right location or be willing to move to that location (and as an employer I may help you depending how difficult it is for me to get staff) and most importantly apply for the role.

If you are inflexible in location, and some British young people are for no good reason, then don't be surprised if you can't get a job.

If you are inflexible in the type of work you will do to learn some work skills, and some British young people are due to attitudes their parents and peers have, then don't be surprised if you can't get a job.

Also while I don't have a problem with migrants I've never said the UK needs unfettered immigration.

If an economy is successful in comparison to others then it's not surprising the number of migrants increases.

Most migrants are young people and will take on different jobs in what they have trained in because they don't have the state or anyone to fall back on in this country. Most EU citizens also try to move back to their home country at some point in their lives.

Comment

So just because you are British and on the dole in Hull you have a divine right to be given a job in Birmingham?

No one has a divine right to be given work.

You need to be either in the right location or be willing to move to that location (and as an employer I may help you depending how difficult it is for me to get staff) and most importantly apply for the role.

If you are inflexible in location, and some British young people are for no good reason, then don't be surprised if you can't get a job.

If you are inflexible in the type of work you will do to learn some work skills, and some British young people are due to attitudes their parents and peers have, then don't be surprised if you can't get a job.

Also while I don't have a problem with migrants I've never said the UK needs unfettered immigration.

If an economy is successful in comparison to others then it's not surprising the number of migrants increases.

Most migrants are young people and will take on different jobs in what they have trained in because they don't have the state or anyone to fall back on in this country. Most EU citizens also try to move back to their home country at some point in their lives.
            Bulltulip

Comment

Originally posted by minestrone View Post
              Bulltulip
              Why because you have a reading comprehension problem? Or is the amount of people you mix with from a small selection of society?

Comment

There is no quota for the number of jobs in capitalist based systems. I know this comes as a shock for you but that's the underlying principle. The more wealthy a country is the more jobs that will be created.
                Try to become a solicitor or a barrister ...

Comment

Why because you have a reading comprehension problem? Or is the amount of people you mix with from a small selection of society?
                  You have always struck me as someone who wants to believe they are clever but continually make an arse trying to prove it.

Let's look at what you said...

"Most EU citizens also try to move back to their home country at some point in their lives."

Can you not see the numerous flaws in that statement?

Comment

Originally posted by Support Monkey View Post
                    The NHS is kept running by Immigrants, I am currently contracted in the NHS and every department is dependant on it's immigrant labour force, they are currently actively seeking nurses in the Philippines, from the top consultants down the whole operation is run by immigrants.
                    You can thank Enoch Powell for that:

Whilst he was Health minister, he encouraged a large number of Commonwealth immigrants into the understaffed National Health Service. Prior to this, many non-white immigrants were often obliged to take the jobs that no one else wanted (e.g. street cleansing, night-shift assembly production lines), often paid considerably less than their white counterparts. Powell was vehemently opposed by the Trade Union movement (who feared that immigrants were being used by capitalists to keep wages low by artificially increasing competition for jobs), but there is no doubt that in easing non-white immigrants into what was considered a prestigious form of career, he boosted the confidence of the immigrant population and helped lay the foundations of a future immigrant-descended permanent Afro-Caribbean and Asian middle class in Britain.
                    Bloody right wingers getting migrants in to do the jobs that the indigenous population won't and then moaning about all the bloody foreigners
                    Brexit is having a wee in the middle of the room at a house party because nobody is talking to you, and then complaining about the smell.

Comment

Originally posted by darmstadt View Post
                      Actually they mainly go there for a better life than they would have in Britain. Now what about all the migrants from EU countries coming to Britain ,I presume you can't complain about then as, . In fact most migrants leave their countries for a better life than they have in their homeland...
                      I have stated that EU migrants coming to the UK are working in low skills jobs even though many have University degrees. This is having the effect of releasing pressure on wages and "giving up" on young people in the UK. The Poles etc are usually good hard working people but we actually do not need them. You and your open borders "friends" seem to ignore this. Furthermore I am sure that by allowing 50 million migrants to come to the UK they will increase the turn over of the economy and maybe once the chaos of the supporting infrastructure gets taken care of they may well improve the GDP overall. After all if people are prepared to migrate to another country chances are they will have a pretty good work ethic.

In terms of overall quality there may be a case of swapping our own feckless shirking workforce by force. In the case of what is actually happening our migration policies seem to be downgrading overall standards: http://forums.contractoruk.com/gener...rd-high-9.html

Lord Green of Deddington, chairman of MigrationWatch, said: “There has long been a level of emigration by highly skilled British workers, many of whom return later.
                      “Highly skilled immigrants help to compensate for this but they are not the problem.
                      “The problem is the mass immigration of low skilled migrants and particularly now from within the EU.”
                      Let us not forget EU open doors immigration benefits IT contractors more than anyone

Comment

Working...
                      X