• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

If Corbyn gets in

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Good bit in Private Eye today about what JC says vs. what the media reports he says. Here's a taster:

What Corbyn says: [asked if Tony Blair should face trial] "If he committed a war crime, yes. Everyone who's committed a war crime should be... Is he going to be tried for it, I don't know. Could he be tried for it? Possibly."

What the headline says: "Tony Blair must face trial for war crimes, says Jeremy Corbyn"

For more, buy the mag. Page 7 is what you'll; wantin'.

PS. for the Tony Blair dog whistle crowd, yes, we know, don't bother. This is about Jeremy Corbyn.

Comment

Originally posted by fullyautomatix View Post
      And this is where Corbyn will work his magic and fix things in the society. What we have is the poor and low income people who cannot afford basic necessities like Sky and IPhone and a holiday, but the upper middle class and rich can afford multiple holidays and multiple iphones. Corbyn will fix this inequality and ensure that rich will be able to afford one iphone and one holiday same as the poor who can now afford the basic necessities and can lead a better life.

I just cannot wait for him to be PM, its going to be revolutionary and once in a generation change to society and governance. We will be able to proudly tell our grandchildren that we made this happen and their good life is due to us showing some intelligence.
      This is a wind up isn't it? Loved the bit about Sky and an iPhone being basic necessities. [emoji23]
      "The budget should be balanced, the Treasury should be refilled, public debt should be reduced, the arrogance of officialdom should be tempered and controlled, and the assistance to foreign lands should be curtailed lest Rome become bankrupt. People must again learn to work, instead of living on public assistance." Cicero

Comment

Originally posted by original PM View Post
        £37.5 hour week on minimum wage gives you approx. £250 before tax.

so lets see

rent for a small bedsit - £100 p/w
        food for a week - £30 p/w

there you go £70 approx. left to spend on beer

but then is poverty living with not much left over after the bare essentials

or is poverty not being able to afford sky, an iPhone and a foreign holiday once per year?

because if it is the later most of us over 40 grew up in poverty so you can see why sympathy is pretty minimal
        The poor don't go on foreign holidays. Many of them have never been outside the town they were born in.

I mean you've not counted council tax, utilities, travel costs, for a start. And then what about saving money for clothes, dental/optician, unexpected circumstances - the issue living so close to your paycheque is one little thing can tip you over... even the time it takes for benefits to start coming through if you find yourself out of work.

Your view matches one subsection of society, that is true. But to tar all of "the hard working poor" with the same brush is simply unfair. Those I know, and know of, don't really fit that mould.
        Originally posted by MaryPoppins
        I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
        Originally posted by vetran
        Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Maybe Corbyn is to the Labour Party what Thatcher was to the Tories: An unelectable extremist who hijacked their party has already served as prime minister
          Brexit is having a wee in the middle of the room at a house party because nobody is talking to you, and then complaining about the smell.

Comment

Originally posted by darmstadt View Post
            Maybe Corbyn is to the Labour Party what Thatcher was to the Tories: An unelectable extremist who hijacked their party has already served as prime minister
            Thatcher faced an extremist Labour party that let rubbish pile up on the streets.

DC is a twunt - but he will have to do a lot worse for Corbyn to get elected.

Maybe in 2018 Greece will finally go kaput. Or some other event will make Corbyn electable? Who can tell?

Comment

Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
              Thatcher faced an extremist Labour party that let rubbish pile up on the streets.

DC is a twunt - but he will have to do a lot worse for Corbyn to get elected.

Maybe in 2018 Greece will finally go kaput. Or some other event will make Corbyn electable? Who can tell?
              Which means that if Corbyn gets elected, we could get a new Thatcherite government after the country has been unionised and d000hg has w*nked himself to death.
              The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world that he didn't exist

Comment

Originally posted by Jog On View Post
                Your welcome - I just thought it best to have a few facts in the conversation. All this "taking us back to the 70's" and "anyone above £50k will have to subsidise the workshy" stuff is getting very Tony Blair/Rupert Murdoch.

He's probably going to win the labour leadership and come 2020 who knows what will happen especially with CMD and co sticking 2 fingers up to the 99% on a daily basis... People have had enough and we're seeing it at every event he goes to speak at.

Get your crying out of your system now, it will feel better down the line
                Besides wanting to outlaw tax avoidance (chortle), another of his "tax justice" principles from that manifesto you cited is:

Reform of small business taxation to discourage avoidance and tackle tax evasion.
                Anyone who thinks that implies simply beefing up IR35 a bit is seriously deluded.

It is far more likely to involve forcing self-employed into industry-specific collective umbrella companies, through which client payments are made and then the "workers" being paid from these net of tax (and at standard income bands based on the nature of your "job" - No negotiating your own rate, it will be collective bargaining).

Make no mistake, that sort of thing is what Corbyn and his like are about.
                Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

Comment

Originally posted by LondonManc View Post
                  Which means that if Corbyn gets elected, we could get a new Thatcherite government after the country has been unionised and d000hg has w*nked himself to death.
                  I know it helps you to have an enemy to argue against, so you can get yourself all frothed up, but I'm not left-wing or a Labour/Corbyn supporter. You're simply playing into the left-wing rhetoric that "right wing == selfish, uncaring elitist" by confusing people caring for other people as being left-wing.

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
                    I know it helps you to have an enemy to argue against, so you can get yourself all frothed up, but I'm not left-wing or a Labour/Corbyn supporter. You're simply playing into the left-wing rhetoric that "right wing == selfish, uncaring elitist" by confusing people caring for other people as being left-wing.
                    You're confusing me with someone who gives a toss.
                    The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world that he didn't exist

Comment

The amount you bleat on about it, you surely do.

Comment

Working...
                      X