• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Jeremy Corbyn

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by jbond007 View Post
    His policies have to be agreed at the Labour conference, don't they (should he win) ? I don't think he will manage to get all the things he's been saying agreed. He will have to make concession. Also, I don't think he is electable at a national level. He says the right things, but so did Tspiras. When reality bites (when you actually get into government), you realise the whole truth and have to make concessions (which could be a u-turn).

Nationalising trains, utilities, free university all looks good in speeches and in principal. But then you have to raise tax somewhere else to pay for all this. Who pays ? Increasing corporation taxes ? Income taxes ? A plumber, bricke could say I didn't go to Uni, don't use trains why should I be subsidising them ?
    Actually the trains cost taxpayers less when they were nationalised. So tell me why I as a taxpayer should now pay 4 times more for them to be private and make a profit for their owners?

Comment

Originally posted by AtW View Post
      As long as he does not bring back those trains where you had to open window, and bend over to open from the outside!
      They are banned by European health and Safety regulations.

The regulations are actually EEA wide so nothing to do with the EU.
      "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Originally posted by expat View Post
        Actually the trains cost taxpayers less when they were nationalised. So tell me why I as a taxpayer should now pay 4 times more for them to be private and make a profit for their owners?
        They changed the rate of subsidiary
        It's actually a con.

Rail commuters actually pay more of their ticket price than when the trains where nationalised.

The state subsidiary is actually higher than when the trains where nationalised.

The last Tory government purposely decreased the subsidiary before privatisation.

So all together the railway is getting more money.
        "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
          They changed the rate of subsidiary
          It's actually a con.

Rail commuters actually pay more of their ticket price than when the trains where nationalised.

The state subsidiary is actually higher than when the trains where nationalised.

The last Tory government purposely decreased the subsidiary before privatisation.

So all together the railway is getting more money.
          Subsidy

Comment

We need more of this. Network FAIL: Britain's rail services are officially 'tulip' says Sir Peter Hendy | Metro News

And while we are at it why not extend this wonderful notion of nationalisation further
            Boehner Denounces FCC
            Let us not forget EU open doors immigration benefits IT contractors more than anyone

Comment

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
              They are banned by European health and Safety regulations.

The regulations are actually EEA wide so nothing to do with the EU.
              The Virgin Eastcoast train I took last week had doors like that.

Comment

I have just visited his home planet and pick up a load of Green Corbynite. I'll make a fortune on ebay selling it to Interstellar villains and Blairites
                (\__/)
                (>'.'<)
                ("")("") Born to Drink. Forced to Work

Comment

More than 40 leading economists, including a former adviser to the Bank of England, have made public their support for Jeremy Corbyn’s policies, dismissing claims that they are extreme, in a major boost to the leftwinger’s campaign to be leader.
                  Jeremy Corbyn wins economists

This after the FT gave one of Corbyn's key ideas the thumbs-up...

If Corbyn’s preferred investments are useful, they could help restore some of the lost ground in productivity and lead to higher real wages for Britons. And by expanding capacity, this extra investment spending may not even end up being inflationary. (The actual amounts in question, according to Murphy, are quite small relative to the size of the UK economy.)

“People’s QE” is far from an obviously wrong idea. Implemented properly, it could even improve the Bank of England’s ability to fulfill its mandate without needing to goose house prices or get into contentious debates about helping the rich at the expense of pensioners.
                  http://ftalphaville.ft.com/2015/08/0...a-decent-idea/
                  My subconscious is annoying. It's got a mind of its own.

Comment

Gotta love the vagueness of it all. Undefined terms, unspecified mechanisms, vague allusions to "investment" and "expanding capacity", mostly the product of the abortive disconnect between micro and macroeconomics.
                    Last edited by Zero Liability; 23 August 2015, 15:32.

Comment

Originally posted by Zero Liability View Post
                      Gotta love the vagueness of it all. Undefined terms, unspecified mechanisms, vague allusions to "investment" and "expanding capacity", mostly the product of the abortive disconnect between micro and macroeconomics.
                      Just like the last Tory manifesto on the economy then?
                      "Being nice costs nothing and sometimes gets you extra bacon" - Pondlife.

Comment

Working...
                      X