• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

DashCam Apps - Reccomendations?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by expat View Post
    I should think one prang from a moron would pay for it.

No evidence = your word against his = your insurance can't be arsed = knock for knock.
    Evidence = his side pays, you don't need to claim. He may even go to court.
    That was my reasoning behind thinking about it as well. My other half doesn't want me to get one because she thinks I'll spend more time reporting idiots I capture dangerous driving on it than using it to cover myself.

I wanted to read up on self incrimination though. If I am in an accident and someone see's I have a cam on I want to know what the rules are about being obliged to hand over the data that might incriminate myself. I am sure there are some rights about this type of thing. Need to have a look in to it before I get one.

Interestingly I did my insurance renewal yesterday and they ask if there is a dashcam fitted. I assumed this meant built in like a bus or lorry rather than a removable screen one. No idea if it affected the insurance premiums though.
    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Reason for a dashcam. This ones a rear facing

LiveLeak.com - Man causes £9,000 worth of damage to an Aston Martin Car.

Mines mounted behind the rear view mirror, cabled into the light. The main shortcoming is the field of vision, they are getting wider, but still not enough to capture the whole front of the car, pillar to pillar.

I know a few people who have them, and have used them in insurance claims & police evidence. Even if you buy the cheapest for £20 with a £5 SD card, it's worth it.

I have a helmet one for the push bike, when I used to cycle to work.

Comment

Had a really cheap one (what a surprise) for a couple of years. All works well except on occasions it won't start and I have to reset it. Stuck a paper clip in top so I can reset easily on the go but then it loses date/time and, more importantly, any higher resolution settings you may have set. Probably best to spend a bit more.
        bloggoth

If everything isn't black and white, I say, 'Why the hell not?'
        John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

Comment

I'm with Cojak in this one. Think a smartphone app might be ok for occasional use, and an inexpensive option if you're already using it for GPS, but find a dedicated dashcam still better. You can leave them in the car when you're parked, often provide better quality (certainly at night*), and some are small enough that they're hardly noticeable unless your face is on the windscreen.

Mine cost a bit some years ago, but decent enough now, e.g. Transcend, can be had for £90.

Recommended site: Dashboard Camera Reviews

Fun in Belgium *Lowlight quality: http://youtu.be/SF9AZQLwhXY
          Last edited by Joe Black; 17 August 2015, 20:08.

Comment

I would recommend a dedicated dashcam. I bought one from Halfords for around a hundred quid. Does hd, gps, gforce, altitude, even does speed cameras as the car built-in satnav doesn't. Comes with some really good PC software as well. It's a MiVue something or the other. Very good.
            ...my quagmire of greed....my cesspit of laziness and unfairness....all I am doing is sticking two fingers up at nurses, doctors and other hard working employed professionals...

Comment

As I tend to do c.2000 miles a month I have considered this: one question how do you stand with recording others when they don’t know – I was thinking of the (possibly not true) need to have CCTV notices up if you have home security.
              Growing old is mandatory
              Growing up is optional

Comment

Originally posted by Halo Jones View Post
                As I tend to do c.2000 miles a month I have considered this: one question how do you stand with recording others when they don’t know – I was thinking of the (possibly not true) need to have CCTV notices up if you have home security.
                Not an issue. There is no expectation of Privacy when you are in a public place such as the roads). DPA comes in when cameras are used by businesses or other organisations to specifically record individuals on private property where there may be an expectation of privacy.

In practice the police are largely supportive of DashCams as it makes their lives easier in the event of an incident or complaint.
                "Being nice costs nothing and sometimes gets you extra bacon" - Pondlife.

Comment

Originally posted by Halo Jones View Post
                  The DPA stuff about CCTV only applies to businesses etc., not to private individuals. Also, as DaveB says, public place => no expectation of privacy.

Comment

Originally posted by unixman View Post
                    I see. If you are involved in an accident, the camera might incriminate you too. I wonder if the police can demand it as evidence? And does it record speed, location etc?

Apparently they can catch stuff when parked up too
                    Video: Man with pram deliberately keys £100k Aston Martin - Telegraph
                    A mate of mine had video of some scrope reversing into his car in a car park and driving away. He went to see plod, plod says "not interested, phone your insurance". Didn't even want to view it.

Our wonderful highly paid and retire at 50 on full pension "professionals" sure do earn our respect.

Comment

Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post
                      A mate of mine had video of some scrope reversing into his car in a car park and driving away. He went to see plod, plod says "not interested, phone your insurance". Didn't even want to view it.

Our wonderful highly paid and retire at 50 on full pension "professionals" sure do earn our respect.
                      Being bumped in a car park is an accident on private property, thats what insurance is for. No one hurt so the police won't be interested. The Aston being keyed was deliberate and classed as criminal damage, so Police will (have to) be interested as a crime has been commited.
                      "Being nice costs nothing and sometimes gets you extra bacon" - Pondlife.

Comment

Working...
                      X