• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Dividends beyond £5k taxed wef 2016!!

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Seems they really have gone after contractors this time with the dividend change and the expenses...

Surely we aren't the only people who get paid largely in divis? How do "the rich" pay themselves?
    "Is someone you don't like allowed to say something you don't like? If that is the case then we have free speech."- Elon Musk

Comment

Originally posted by mudskipper View Post
      FTFY.
      Screwing without consent is rape.

ALthough, I'm not sure what 'effectively screwed/raped me' is supposed to mean

Metaphorically maybe. Although 'robbed me' might be better.

Comment

Contrary to popular belief among permies (and some contractors), contractors on the low salary model don't pay significantly less income/divi tax than permies. Your corporation/income/divi tax adds up to about the same as permy income tax. Where we do save however is in the avoidance of NIC payments, due to our salary being low (circa 10k).

On their own, the new divi rates would mean our corp/income/divi tax will be more than a permy. However that will be offset by the decrease in corporation tax of 2% - affecting all your dividend - and the avoidance of NICs will likely continue to be the biggest factor, meaning the low salary/high dividend model will continue to be the best.

Probably.

Comment

Originally posted by Jog On View Post
          Seems they really have gone after contractors this time with the dividend change and the expenses...

Surely we aren't the only people who get paid largely in divis? How do "the rich" pay themselves?
          Can't help thinking they will make a lot more from corporate bods than us on this one. Not so sure this was totally aimed at us.
          'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Oh and don't forget to pay the highest allowable dividend next March!

Comment

Originally posted by NorthWestPerm2Contr View Post
              The only hope is that people will be put off going contracting now and rates will rise to compensate...
              That was said when IR35 came in. Guess what? Didn't happen.

What's made contracting attractive to most people seems to be the increase in take-home pay, coupled with increased independence. Not the ability to reduce the percentage of tax paid on overall income.

I certainly pay more tax than I would as a permie in Switzerland. But my net income is nonetheless way way higher. (Currently undergoing a tax investigation... so it's not safe here. OTOH, my accounts are clear of anything remotely dodgy).
              Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Originally posted by NorthWestPerm2Contr View Post
                After 5 years as a contractor this is the worst news I have come up against. Damn those tories, they have hammered everybody except the rich.
                Um, contractors who will be substantially affected by this ARE the rich - or at least the top few % of earners. You maybe forget what most people earn.

Originally posted by tractor View Post
                Jesus/Mohammed/Dalai Lama Almighty.

CUKer discovers the old 'unintended consequences' thing.

This is a consequence of legislation enacted in a bid to stop VAT and Tax scams by typically building/engineering tradespeople in the 70's.

Branson started a business, running through a company. Contractors create a company but are not a business.

You are only a real business if you start with £x,0000 capital and employ more than how many people?

Branson started in a phone box and record listening booth.
                I didn't say that. But Branson started a company and grew it, he wasn't using a company vehicle to supply personal services... he wasn't earning 100k selling stuff on his own.
                Originally posted by MaryPoppins
                I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
                Originally posted by vetran
                Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Originally posted by unixman View Post
                  That is exactly what I am going to do.

Found a simple tax calculator here.

2015-16 Salary and Dividend Tax Calculator

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
                    Um, contractors who will be substantially affected by this ARE the rich - or at least the top few % of earners. You maybe forget what most people earn.

I didn't say that. But Branson started a company and grew it, he wasn't using a company vehicle to supply personal services... he wasn't earning 100k selling stuff on his own.
                    I did say I don't want to be Branson. But why should anyone who takes the risk and suffers the disadvantages of not having regular bigco employment not be afforded the same advantages as any other company/director?

Comment

Originally posted by unixman View Post
                      Already paid the best divi (keeping out of higher tax rate) on 6th April 2015
                      Contracting: more of the money, less of the sh1t

Comment

Working...
                      X