• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

That's it, no more Top Gear for me

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
    Top gear has nothing to do with cars - least of all buying them. Its just entertainment.
    Yes it is, and I enjoy the buffoonery/entertainment. But Jezza also squeakes a few minutes of genuine car advice advice into each show, and it's worth hearing. Quite unlike the car magazines which are all (in my view) on backhanders from car companies, or so dependent on advertising revenue from the german megacorps, they will say anything.

Originally posted by pjclarke
    Even when a minion drives an electric car around the block a few hundred times before the filming so it 'amusingly' stops and has to be pushed?
    Agree that was terrible.

Comment

The Top Gear website is choc full of decent car reviews, motoring advice etc.

The TV show is just really showing reviews of new/used cars in different settings rather than the rather dry/dull show it used to be where they would review the 1.2 Fiesta for 20 minutes.

Comment

Surprised no ones mentioned it yet but what's happening with Clarkson/May/Hammond?

IMO "Top Gear" without them is just some motoring show, with a famous title and 'brand', on BBC1. I don't mind Chris Evans 2.0 but I can't imagine watching him doing any driving tests or features that would be watchable. C/M/H together are way more important than "Top Gear".

What's needed again is a motoring show with these three; I was really hoping (I recall May saying "We come as a three" after Clarkson was sacked) that say ITV or C4 would have signed them all up to do a show called something ironic like "3 Men Talk About Cars", with an eerily similar format.

Is this not going to happen then?
        Originally posted by Nigel Farage MEP - 2016-06-24 04:00:00
        "I hope this victory brings down this failed project and leads us to a Europe of sovereign nation states, trading together, being friends together, cooperating together, and let's get rid of the flag, the anthem, Brussels, and all that has gone wrong."

Comment

Originally posted by rl4engc View Post
          have signed them all up to do a show called something ironic like "3 Men Talk About Cars", with an eerily similar format.
          Tip:

Dont go into advertising or marketing
          Let us not forget EU open doors immigration benefits IT contractors more than anyone

Comment

Surprised no ones mentioned it yet but what's happening with Clarkson/May/Hammond?

IMO "Top Gear" without them is just some motoring show, with a famous title and 'brand', on BBC1. I don't mind Chris Evans 2.0 but I can't imagine watching him doing any driving tests or features that would be watchable. C/M/H together are way more important than "Top Gear".

What's needed again is a motoring show with these three; I was really hoping (I recall May saying "We come as a three" after Clarkson was sacked) that say ITV or C4 would have signed them all up to do a show called something ironic like "3 Men Talk About Cars", with an eerily similar format.

I think it will - maybe with Sky or someone with a big budget.....

I also wonder how much clout the likes of Evans et al will have with the big manufacturers when it comes to test drives/exclusives etc - Evans will have some joy with Ferrari but if the other 2 are just filler not sure that the name Top Gear will have the same cache without Clarkson.

Comment

Amazed nobody is demanding more diversity to replace these three white males.

Update. Oh hang on, we will have a woman!

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-33162666

Good start but we still need a black person, a gay person and somebody with a disability.

PS and a non-human. A snail would have a great appreciation of speed, show us things from a new perspective.
              Last edited by xoggoth; 17 June 2015, 16:33.
              bloggoth

If everything isn't black and white, I say, 'Why the hell not?'
              John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

Comment

Yes, I was hoping another TV company would sign them up quickly and produce an identical show called "Top Car". But the TV companies aren't keen. Perhaps JC has burned too many bridges. His genius has been to take a boring subject (cars) and make it interesting. And cars are a boring subject, perhaps surprisingly.

Another thing - the presenter needs to be able to power-slide a car round a bend at over 100 mph. Can CE do that ? It took JC many years to master, apparently.

Now the most awkward bit. JC is politically incorrect. Perhaps the last PI person on TV. It is this that gave TG the global audience in my view. CE can do many things, but not political incorrectness.

Comment

Originally posted by DodgyAgent View Post
                  Tip:

Dont go into advertising or marketing

[...] called something ironic like "3 Men Talk About Cars", with an eerily similar format.
                  Tip:

Don't (note the apostrophe) go into proofreading.
                  "I hope this victory brings down this failed project and leads us to a Europe of sovereign nation states, trading together, being friends together, cooperating together, and let's get rid of the flag, the anthem, Brussels, and all that has gone wrong."

Comment

I really cannot see how no one on here has suggested the obvious place for Clarkson, Hammond and May..

They are one of the few global TV shows that isn't a very expensive drama (as you can see by looking at the live show tour). Netflix or Amazon will happily sign them up as they won't care what advertisers want....
                    merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

There's nothing stopping JC (or all three for that matter) forming his/their own production company, getting a team together and doing say six hour long episodes as a trial. It would need to be fairly big budget of course, but I'm sure collectively they're worth a few bob.

Then release some previews and see who bites. Top Gear (with those three) has huge global appeal so if it's a success in the UK (which it will be) they'll be laughing all the way to the bank.

Comment

Working...
                      X