• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Banned from driving.

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Banned from driving.

Motorist selling car is banned after buyer was killed during test drive - Telegraph

For dear old Freako of immortal memory, this refers to some unfortunate who didn't check that the chap who'd come to test drive his car was covered by insurance.

This is why I never sell my cars

Comment

He now helps his new partner run a pub in a Welsh village.
      Banned from driving and now living in a pub? Some cants get all the luck

Comment

Good grief. It would certainly be a good idea before letting somebody drive your car but I can't say it ever occurred to me the seller would have a legal responsible for checking insurance. Pity we don't have laws based on a few basic common sense principles, one of which is "adults should take responsibility for their own actions"
        bloggoth

If everything isn't black and white, I say, 'Why the hell not?'
        John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

Comment

I've just bought a new car (classic contractor's car) and need to sell the old, which is now uninsured.
          Will work inside IR35. Or for food.

Comment

Originally posted by xoggoth View Post
            Good grief. It would certainly be a good idea before letting somebody drive your car but I can't say it ever occurred to me the seller would have a legal responsible for checking insurance. Pity we don't have laws based on a few basic common sense principles, one of which is "adults should take responsibility for their own actions"
            It's not so much that the seller has a responsibility - it's the more general point of being the owner of the car and needing to check.

It's the same as if you let your mate borrow your car and he doesn't have insurance. You are liable for allowing him to drive uninsured - even if he doesn't crash, but is simply pulled over by the police for a spot check and they find out, you can be done.
            The common sense bit is that own the car, you have the keys - would you let someone clearly pissed drive your car and say "it's their responsibility"?

Comment

Originally posted by Ticktock View Post
              The common sense bit is that own the car, you have the keys - would you let someone clearly pissed drive your car and say "it's their responsibility"?
              No I wouldn't. However, I was not aware that I was legally responsible for it!

That has freaked me out a little in terms of people borrowing my car. I will have to insist they bring me their insurance documents so I can check whether they really are covered!
              "He's actually ripped" - Jared Padalecki

https://youtu.be/l-PUnsCL590?list=PL...dNeCyi9a&t=615

Comment

Originally posted by Ticktock View Post
                It's not so much that the seller has a responsibility - it's the more general point of being the owner of the car and needing to check.

It's the same as if you let your mate borrow your car and he doesn't have insurance. You are liable for allowing him to drive uninsured - even if he doesn't crash, but is simply pulled over by the police for a spot check and they find out, you can be done.
                Exactly - people are up in arms about this, but the legislation has been in place for years and it does make a lot of sense. It's not taking responsibility away from the driver (That's still a criminal offence in itself), it's EXTENDING responsibility to the owner.

Comment

Originally posted by zeitghost
                  Is the old car still taxed?
                  Yes. But that's also a mine field as apparently they send out a letter if you cancel insurance to say that it must be declared SORN. Then nobody can test drive it even if they have insurance.

Comment

Originally posted by MyUserName View Post
                    No I wouldn't. However, I was not aware that I was legally responsible for it!

That has freaked me out a little in terms of people borrowing my car. I will have to insist they bring me their insurance documents so I can check whether they really are covered!
                    Indeed. You'd always assume driving would be the driver's responsibility. You wouldn't want someone to drive your car uninsured because you'd be worried about losing the car and the money if they crash. Nobody would think you'd be prosecuted.

Comment

Working...
                    X