• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

The bmw run flat conundrum

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The bmw run flat conundrum

The run flats for my 320 cost around £90. I'm surprised the OP is having to find £200. Are they low profile, I wonder? Or much bigger I guess?

I can just about stomach run flats costing more than normal tyres, being noisier, giving a less comfortable ride, but it's their shorter life span that gets my goat.
    Last edited by I just need to test it; 2 May 2015, 05:47.

Comment

Originally posted by I just need to test it View Post
      The run flats for my 320 cost around £90. I'm surprised the OP is having to find £200. Are they low profile, I wonder? Or much bigger I guess?

I can just about stomach run flats costing more than normal tyres, being noisier, giving a less comfortable ride, but it's their shorter life span that gets my goat.
      The bigger the alloy, the more expensive the tyre is.

So clearly you have a sensible size alloys while the OP has far bigger ones.
      merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

That does seem a bit expensive for a 320d I have to admit. I pay around that for my beemer 3 series run flat tyres but they are 275/35R19Y which are about twice the size of those on a 320

Whoops, just found out I don't have RFs but they're still around €240 each
        Last edited by darmstadt; 3 May 2015, 17:45.
        Brexit is having a wee in the middle of the room at a house party because nobody is talking to you, and then complaining about the smell.

Comment

Originally posted by NorthWestPerm2Contr View Post
          Had my newish F30 3 series for a few months and totally no regrets about buying it. Recently got a puncture and just had to buy a new tyre for over 200 squid. I went into this fully knowing the deal. Black circle offered the best deal for tyres.

Going to normal tyres doesn't seem an option in the new beemas as they don't have space for the spare.

I don't believe in part worns as it's just silly to do that for things as important as tyres. Knobster comment if ever there was one!

Is it one of things that you just have to grin and bear or is their another option?
          RFs for my BMW are £270 each, so you're getting off light...however, must say I effing hate RFs despite the obvious intended benefits...the ride is hard, but this might be in part to it being a sports model/suspension, and one of the worst things is you get pulled into ruts in the road, however slight the rut might be, which can be a bit worrying if travelling at speed. Have contemplated replacing all 4 with 'normal' tyres but didn't want the car to slip into average-ism.
          Clarity is everything

Comment

Originally posted by TykeMerc View Post
            You run a car with a "badge" and then whine about the cost of tyres which you knew full well when you got the car were expensive.

What kind of idiot do you have to be to ask the question (or to even contemplate part worn tyres for that matter)? You're a contractor £200 is hardly the end of the world especially since your last posts were about how wonderfully successful you are now.

Or of course it may all just be a bunch of utter lies made to embellish that particular ID.
            This. Part worn tyres on any car never mind new, newish whatever is just madness. Ive got RFT's on the Z4 and they are noisey as hell. At 24000 miles (just ordered a new one for 1 September) the noise is even worse than when they were new.

My E46 with over 195k on the clock nor the wife's car are never shod with part worns. Its just false economy and will likely turn your car into a death trap.

£200 around half a day's billing for a decent contractor, what's the beef?
            I couldn't give two fornicators! Yes, really!

Comment

Originally posted by eek View Post
              Rather you than me replacing an individual tyre.

You are supposed to replace them in pairs especially in BMWs unless you have a poverty spec manual....

Edit to add - Mismatched pairs can give the automatic gearbox big problems....
              What nonsense. This used to be a myth with 4 x 4's as well but many 4 x 4's now drive 4 x 2 in normal conditions and switch to 4 x 4 when needed. Doesnt **** their gearbox.

The only time you need to change two tyres is where they both well worn and replacing just one will affect the grip on one side of the vehicle.

Comment

Originally posted by SteelyDan View Post
                RFs for my BMW are £270 each, so you're getting off light...however, must say I effing hate RFs despite the obvious intended benefits...the ride is hard, but this might be in part to it being a sports model/suspension, and one of the worst things is you get pulled into ruts in the road, however slight the rut might be, which can be a bit worrying if travelling at speed. Have contemplated replacing all 4 with 'normal' tyres but didn't want the car to slip into average-ism.
                Getting pulled into ruts is down to low profile tyres than RFT's. My E46 was fitted with Michelin Pilot Sport LPT (people think RFT's are expensive buy a set of these even for a 2002 car!) and tramlines like no ones business.

Had to switch brands and that lessened the effect somewhat but its still there on some surfaces.

Comment

Originally posted by SteelyDan View Post
                  RF + M sport = uncomfortable by all accounts.

RF + standard suspension is pretty smooth IMHO

(E90 320D)
                  http://www.cih.org/news-article/disp...housing_market

Comment

I used this site, and I'm happy with the tyre chosen

Michelin Pilot Sport | the Michelin Pilot Sport reviewed and rated - TyreReviews
                    For the Michelin Sport

Goodyear Eagle F1 Asymmetric 2 | the Goodyear Eagle F1 Asymmetric 2 reviewed and rated - TyreReviews
                    For Goodyear on mine, paid £85 each for 4 with mobile fitting

Saab Automobile 9 3 Aero 2.8T V6 Tyres - TyreReviews
                    Shows the choice for one of my cars
                    Last edited by anonymouse; 3 May 2015, 17:28.

Comment

I think mine are Bridgestone tyres...
                      Clarity is everything

Comment

Working...
                      X