• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!
Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "The bmw run flat conundrum"

Collapse

• vwdan
    replied
    Originally posted by Ticktock View Post
    I had a 2nd hand BMW 320 back when I was permie. It was a decent enough car. Nothing wrong with it, but it's not like it's the pinnacle of automotive engineering.

Never had a Mondeo, but they look like decent enough cars, lots of bells and whistles, reliable enough, reasonable price etc. They probably don't have the same level of performance as the BMW (I don't know), but I guess you're trading that and the badge for the pricing.
    I had (at the time) a new 1 series when I was doing the company car thing and although it drove fantastically around the twisties, I was never really blown away by the quality. I had an Audi A3 170 S-Line after that which absolutely blew it away in terms of cockpit feel.

While I'd gladly go back to either, I think I'd still pick a comfy Mondeo for really churning up the miles. The A3 in particular was a harsh car over distance cos of the sports setup.

Leave a comment:

• Ticktock
    replied
    Originally posted by PurpleGorilla View Post
    Um, technically they both come with a badge, but bmw is certainly the stronger brand.

Lots of bmw's are actually de-badged!

There is no comparison, there really isn't.

I wouldn't buy one new, but second hand bmw's are a great buy.
    I had a 2nd hand BMW 320 back when I was permie. It was a decent enough car. Nothing wrong with it, but it's not like it's the pinnacle of automotive engineering.

Never had a Mondeo, but they look like decent enough cars, lots of bells and whistles, reliable enough, reasonable price etc. They probably don't have the same level of performance as the BMW (I don't know), but I guess you're trading that and the badge for the pricing.

Leave a comment:

• PurpleGorilla
    replied
    Originally posted by unixman View Post
    No. A silk tie doesn't come with a badge. It is inherently good. Here's how a badge works:

BMW 3 series = £15,000 car + £5,000 badge.

Ford Mondeo = £20,000 car + £1 badge.
    Um, technically they both come with a badge, but bmw is certainly the stronger brand.

Lots of bmw's are actually de-badged!

There is no comparison, there really isn't.

I wouldn't buy one new, but second hand bmw's are a great buy.

Leave a comment:

• unixman
    replied
    A bmw is like a silk tie to a ford washable polyester tie.

They both do the same job.

But one is quality. It looks better, it feels better. It is classy. Not cheap.

I smile every time I get behind the wheel of my bmw. Mondeo is polyester to silk.
    No. A silk tie doesn't come with a badge. It is inherently good. Here's how a badge works:

BMW 3 series = £15,000 car + £5,000 badge.

Ford Mondeo = £20,000 car + £1 badge.

Leave a comment:

• Scruff
    replied
    I have four different tyres, one on each corner. I'm trying to decide which one is the fastest, stickiest, quietest? Nankang, Bridgestone, Michelin or Toyo?

Leave a comment:

• Ticktock
    replied
    Originally posted by the_rangdo View Post
    And I now drive happily on Goodyear Eagle F1 Asym 2 tyres that are so much quieter and comfier. And stick to the wet roads better.
    +1 for the Eagle F1 Asym 2s. That's what I have on the front of my car.

Leave a comment:

• the_rangdo
    replied
    Got rid of mine a long time ago with no regrets. Quite a few reasons...

Harsh ride on uneven surfaces (even with non sport suspension)

Noise level after about 5k miles increases rapidly.

Uneven wear mainly on the rears caused by wheel camber and inflexible tyre walls. Quite a few pictures available online of tyres down to the canvas with plenty of tread on the outside.

Blowouts can still happen, run flats won't stop that. No added benefit there.

I got a pucture which turned out to be unrepairable; that's when you find out practically no-one stocks RFTs so I lost a days billing while one had to be sourced and bussed in.

The RE050 have terrible wet grip, they can let go with no warning at almost any speed. My F10 has all the traction/stability control wizardry but I'd rather not test that out when turning a corner to join a motorway, or find myself suddenly drifting across a wet bend (doing 35mph on a 50mph road). Pirelli's were marginally better but not particularly confidence building.

I have a can of gunk (official BMW stuff for no other reason than to shut the insurance company up) and breakdown cover.

And I now drive happily on Goodyear Eagle F1 Asym 2 tyres that are so much quieter and comfier. And stick to the wet roads better.

Leave a comment:

• Paddy
    replied
    Originally posted by saptastic View Post
    My BMW 3 series run flats cost over well over £200 each. Must be the bad boy size I upgraded to.
    Dont like run flats due to cost but I suppose could save your life on a blow out.

Despite this cost - you do really feel the potholes and bumps in the road in this car.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P2xLM91NUMs

But Citroen since many years ago has provided protection and comfort with their suspension

Leave a comment:

• unixman
    replied
    Forget the spare and carry a can of foam. Many new cars come without a spare anyway.

£200 is not unreasonable for a "premium brand" tyre, eg Michelin.

Leave a comment:

• saptastic
    replied
    My BMW 3 series run flats cost over well over £200 each. Must be the bad boy size I upgraded to.
    Dont like run flats due to cost but I suppose could save your life on a blow out.

Despite this cost - you do really feel the potholes and bumps in the road in this car.

Leave a comment:

• psychocandy
    replied
    Originally posted by VectraMan View Post
    Can of foam. Never tried it, but that seems to be what lots of cars do now.
    Load of wank. Got a Galaxy with a posh can of foam.

Had flat. Tried it. Just oozed out, drove 50 yards and it was just as flat as ever. Ended up having to phone the AA anyway.

Leave a comment:

• NorthWestPerm2Contr
    replied

I smile every time I get behind the wheel of my bmw. Mondeo is polyester to silk.
    Totally love my 3 series. Only drawback is the rough ride you get on bumpy roads, otherwise pure class.

Leave a comment:

• PurpleGorilla
    replied

Leave a comment:

• SteelyDan
    replied
    I think mine are Bridgestone tyres...

Leave a comment:

• anonymouse
    replied
    I used this site, and I'm happy with the tyre chosen

Michelin Pilot Sport | the Michelin Pilot Sport reviewed and rated - TyreReviews
    For the Michelin Sport

Goodyear Eagle F1 Asymmetric 2 | the Goodyear Eagle F1 Asymmetric 2 reviewed and rated - TyreReviews
    For Goodyear on mine, paid £85 each for 4 with mobile fitting

Saab Automobile 9 3 Aero 2.8T V6 Tyres - TyreReviews
    Shows the choice for one of my cars
    Last edited by anonymouse; 3 May 2015, 17:28.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X