• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

The bmw run flat conundrum

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by unixman View Post
    No. A silk tie doesn't come with a badge. It is inherently good. Here's how a badge works:

BMW 3 series = £15,000 car + £5,000 badge.

Ford Mondeo = £20,000 car + £1 badge.
    Um, technically they both come with a badge, but bmw is certainly the stronger brand.

Lots of bmw's are actually de-badged!

There is no comparison, there really isn't.

I wouldn't buy one new, but second hand bmw's are a great buy.
    http://www.cih.org/news-article/disp...housing_market

Comment

Originally posted by PurpleGorilla View Post
      Um, technically they both come with a badge, but bmw is certainly the stronger brand.

Lots of bmw's are actually de-badged!

There is no comparison, there really isn't.

I wouldn't buy one new, but second hand bmw's are a great buy.
      I had a 2nd hand BMW 320 back when I was permie. It was a decent enough car. Nothing wrong with it, but it's not like it's the pinnacle of automotive engineering.

Never had a Mondeo, but they look like decent enough cars, lots of bells and whistles, reliable enough, reasonable price etc. They probably don't have the same level of performance as the BMW (I don't know), but I guess you're trading that and the badge for the pricing.

Comment

Originally posted by Ticktock View Post
        I had a 2nd hand BMW 320 back when I was permie. It was a decent enough car. Nothing wrong with it, but it's not like it's the pinnacle of automotive engineering.

Never had a Mondeo, but they look like decent enough cars, lots of bells and whistles, reliable enough, reasonable price etc. They probably don't have the same level of performance as the BMW (I don't know), but I guess you're trading that and the badge for the pricing.
        I had (at the time) a new 1 series when I was doing the company car thing and although it drove fantastically around the twisties, I was never really blown away by the quality. I had an Audi A3 170 S-Line after that which absolutely blew it away in terms of cockpit feel.

While I'd gladly go back to either, I think I'd still pick a comfy Mondeo for really churning up the miles. The A3 in particular was a harsh car over distance cos of the sports setup.

Comment

Working...
        X