• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

FoI, Newspapers, and the BBC

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by xoggoth View Post
    What the hell do they need all those copies for?
    x2

I feel a petition coming on to demand nanny-state-BBC cuts back on their wasteful spending.

Comment

Originally posted by alphadog View Post
      x2

I feel a petition coming on to demand nanny-state-BBC cuts back on their wasteful spending.
      Given that the BBC has received £22 million from the EU, UKIP asks where is the BBC’s EU logo displayed on the programmes that it makes?

BBC's Pro-EU mockumentary - UKIP asks 'Where's your EU logo?' | News | UKIP MEPs

Comment

Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post
        Given that the BBC has received £22 million from the EU, UKIP asks where is the BBC’s EU logo displayed on the programmes that it makes?

BBC's Pro-EU mockumentary - UKIP asks 'Where's your EU logo?' | News | UKIP MEPs
        UKIP love to make themselves look like harebrained, misinformed, idiot obsessives, don't they?

Comment

How much have the Ukip received?
          Brexit is having a wee in the middle of the room at a house party because nobody is talking to you, and then complaining about the smell.

Comment

Originally posted by NickFitz View Post
            I got a response to the FoI request I made during the Clarkson kerfuffle, asking how many of each newspaper the BBC gets.

So we can finally lay to rest Guido's old one showing that they bought the Grauniad a lot. The figures for 2014 are:

Code:
            Daily Mail	78463
            Times		77167
            Daily Telegraph	75308
            Sun		66202
            The Independent	61339
            Daily Mirror	60528
            Guardian	45672
            Daily Express	42263
            Financial Times	40253
            Daily Star	17988
            As people of a rightwing persuasion have been fond of asserting that the high number of copies of the Grauniad bought in 2010 were indicative of leftwing bias at the Corporation, perhaps they will now start loudly trumpeting the BBC's obvious rightwing inclinations on the basis of these more recent figures

Here's the entire response as a PDF (257KB), also showing figures for Sunday papers.

HTH
            What about the circulations. The Guardian is one of Britain's least read newspapers, selling only 185,000 per day in Jan 2015, compared with 1.7 million for the Daily Mail. The Indendent is the lowest of all on just over 61000 - little more than a local newspaper.

Therefore, if the BBC were reflective of the UK population, it would be buying about 8616 Guardians, not 45,672, and 2849 Independents, rather than 61139.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of...by_circulation

Any improvement in the figures, which are still lamentably imbalanced, might be due to the bottom-torching received by the Beeb after Guido broke the original story. Since then it has raged on Twitter, with people constantly making the defense you made, and others constantly making the response I made. All good fun.
            Last edited by unixman; 14 April 2015, 13:49. Reason: URL fix

Comment

Originally posted by darmstadt View Post
              How much have the Ukip received?
              Somewhat less than the BBC.

Comment

Somewhat less than the BBC.
                But still far more per head.

BBC employs circa 20,000 peole and got £22 Million. =£1,100 per employee.

UKIP got £1.5m from the EU. They'd need to be employing 1363 people to show the same ratio. I'm pretty sure the number is closer to 150 paid employees, so more like £10k per person.
                "Being nice costs nothing and sometimes gets you extra bacon" - Pondlife.

Comment

Originally posted by DaveB View Post
                  But still far more per head.

BBC employs circa 20,000 peole and got £22 Million. =£1,100 per employee.

UKIP got £1.5m from the EU. They'd need to be employing 1363 people to show the same ratio. I'm pretty sure the number is closer to 150 paid employees, so more like £10k per person.
                  EU money to fight the EU. Gotta love their style.

Comment

EU money to fight the EU. Gotta love their style.

If you love self-serving hypocrisy... oh wait now it makes sense why UKIP are so popular amongst IT contractors.
                    Originally posted by MaryPoppins
                    I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
                    Originally posted by vetran
                    Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Originally posted by unixman View Post
                      What about the circulations.
                      Nice straw you're clutching at

Originally posted by unixman View Post
                      Any improvement in the figures, which are still lamentably imbalanced, might be due to the bottom-torching received by the Beeb after Guido broke the original story. Since then it has raged on Twitter, with people constantly making the defense you made, and others constantly making the response I made. All good fun.
                      Bless. Yes, if you want to believe that, go right ahead.

Comment

Working...
                      X