• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Should fat people be allowed a seat on trains?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Being overweight is primarily a mental health issue. If you don't hate yourself enough to do something about it then something is wrong.

HTH

Comment

Originally posted by original PM View Post
      No I agree but the point I was trying to make is that it is still very preventable in most cases if caught early.

It's also very visible - it is not hidden away like a cancer - just look - when you can no longer see your feet you need to loose weight....
      Body image is a lot more complicated than that. The brain gets in the way.

Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
      When people are so fat they get bed-bound, who keeps bringing them food? Shouldn't they starve until they are well enough to go to the shops?
      That's going to end badly when they have obesity-linked diseases such as diabetes. Plus, how are they going to pay rent in the meantime if they cannot work?
      Originally posted by MaryPoppins
      I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
      Originally posted by vetran
      Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
        Body image is a lot more complicated than that. The brain gets in the way.

That's going to end badly when they have obesity-linked diseases such as diabetes. Plus, how are they going to pay rent in the meantime if they cannot work?
        They live on benefits as their obesity has caused them other illnesses so they are too disabled/sick to work.

Channel 4 has "nice" programs on all this like this one - linky
        "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

So then, they are disabled. Question answered
          Originally posted by MaryPoppins
          I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
          Originally posted by vetran
          Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
            In terms of physics, yes (although not even that is so clear-cut when you consider issues such as water retention). In terms of adding anything useful to the discussion, no. There are many reasons for people having weight problems because there are many reasons why people eat more than they need / more than they can metabolise.
            True - stress, being bullied etc etc

But what gets me is that if someone gets fat (and I mean really fat), too fat to work 'fat' then we call it a disability. But the same triggers cause people to drink too much, or take drugs, but this isn't classed as a disability.

I still say being fat is not a disability, just like being a drunk or a junkie is also not a disability. These are lifestyle choices - many many disabled people (maybe all?!?) would all choose not to be in the state that they are but have no choice.
            I am what I drink, and I'm a bitter man

Comment

Originally posted by Whorty View Post
              True - stress, being bullied etc etc

But what gets me is that if someone gets fat (and I mean really fat), too fat to work 'fat' then we call it a disability. But the same triggers cause people to drink too much, or take drugs, but this isn't classed as a disability.

I still say being fat is not a disability, just like being a drunk or a junkie is also not a disability. These are lifestyle choices - many many disabled people (maybe all?!?) would all choose not to be in the state that they are but have no choice.
              Actually if you drink too much or are a junkie and it causes you to have illnesses that are regarded as a disability then you are disabled.

Someone on the road where I use to live was an alcoholic and due to his illnesses caused by his addiction was on disability benefits.
              "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Working...
              X