• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

The dumbing down of the UK

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by lilelvis2000 View Post
    And they are winning those jobs. Clearly the local "talent" isn't up to the task. And, as I've said before, productivity in the UK is rubbish, and migrants worker faster, harder for the same money. Unless everyone is prepared to be even more ripped off than we already are.
    UK workers cannot compete at this level against vastly more qualified people from eastern europe. It is not as if there is actually a shortage in these areas. As for production it seems that ours is low due to a reluctance to invest in technology . people are being employed instead.
    Let us not forget EU open doors immigration benefits IT contractors more than anyone

Comment

productivity in the UK is rubbish, and migrants worker faster, harder for the same money
      Even if that is true one has to ask a) why? and b) for how long?

If we do have problems in this country like welfare dependency, poor education etc. that damage incentive or ability we need to fix them. Immigration is not going to provide any long term solution as the same problems will affect migrants and their dependents. What do we do then, import yet more migrants? It isn't a solution to an ageing population either, migrants get old too.
      bloggoth

If everything isn't black and white, I say, 'Why the hell not?'
      John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

Comment

As for production it seems that ours is low due to a reluctance to invest in technology . people are being employed instead
        Quite. We will never compete with the third world by driving down wages, not unless we ditch all our workers' rights and safety procedures as well. Technology is the only way to go. We should be aiming, in every area of the economy, to reduce the need for low skilled and manual workers.

They could start with those overpaid tube drivers.
        bloggoth

If everything isn't black and white, I say, 'Why the hell not?'
        John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

Comment

Latest study, Immigration to Britain has not increased unemployment or reduced wages: http://cep.lse.ac.uk/pubs/download/ea019.pdf

Immigrants, especially in recent years, tend to be younger and better educated than the UK-born and less likely to be unemployed.

migrants tend to use fewer public services and be more likely to be in work and paying tax because they were relatively young.
          Brexit is having a wee in the middle of the room at a house party because nobody is talking to you, and then complaining about the smell.

Comment

Originally posted by darmstadt View Post
            Latest study, Immigration to Britain has not increased unemployment or reduced wages: http://cep.lse.ac.uk/pubs/download/ea019.pdf
            Interesting

There is still no evidence of an overall negative impact of immigration on jobs, wages, housing or crowding out of publice services.
            I'm alright Jack

Comment

Laterally, there's probably a report out there titled 'Germany's brain gain'
              "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by darmstadt View Post
                What about if we turn the question around and ask "Has immigration prevented a large reduction in UK unemployment figures and a significant rise in average earnings?"

Comment

Originally posted by alluvial View Post
                  What about if we turn the question around and ask "Has immigration prevented a large reduction in UK unemployment figures and a significant rise in average earnings?"
                  Earnings these days are driven pretty much international levels. i.e. if London becomes too expensive they reduce and build up in New York or whereever. I've seen that happen, that they cut bonuses and staff where it's expensive and build up staff where it's cheaper.

The big international companies set average earnings (actually above average) and the smaller companies follow with lower salaries. UK salaries are keeping pace with comparable countries US/Germany and so is unemployment. So the answer to that question is almost certainly not.

Immigration simply means the organisations or parts of organisations are bigger in the UK than they would have been had immigration not taken place. They earn more than they would have done without the immigrants; if you remove the immigrants then they would earn comparably less and so wouldn't be able to pay higher salaries.

Just point out that with unemployment at 5% there's no slack so it isn't that if the immigrants weren't there they would be filled with Brits who are currently twiddling their thumbs. The Brits aren't there to fill those positions.
                  Last edited by BlasterBates; 3 March 2015, 15:22.
                  I'm alright Jack

Comment

Originally posted by BlasterBates View Post
                    Earnings these days are driven pretty much international levels. i.e. if London becomes too expensive they reduce and build up in New York or whereever. I've seen that happen, that they cut bonuses and staff where it's expensive and build up staff where it's cheaper.

The big international companies set average earnings (actually above average) and the smaller companies follow with lower salaries. So the answer to that question is almost certainly not.
                    So if there's a shortage of potato pickers in East Anglia, they can't increase the wages on offer to coax people off of the dole to come and work for them because their compatriots in New York State don't earn as much?
                    Last edited by alluvial; 3 March 2015, 15:30.

Comment

It is interesting to see the "tick box" attitude towards immigration from people who see immigrants through a prism that is far detached from some of the realities. Fear and anger in once-wealthy town divided by insecurity and immigration | Society | The Guardian
                      Let us not forget EU open doors immigration benefits IT contractors more than anyone

Comment

Working...
                      X