• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

When is democracy not democratic?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Zero Liability View Post
    What's membership got to do with it? Means diddly squat if next to no one votes for you, and very few voting intention polls put the Greens above 10%. Though I see no reason the SNP or Greens should be excluded, however much I'd like to see and hear less of Bennett.
    The SNP have 6 MPs at the moment and the Greens 1, UKIP only have 2 because they jumped from the Tories and took their followers with them. Sweden has TV debates with 8-10 people on them so it can be done.

Comment

Hang on is that 93,000 SNP member count correct...... It's not but I'll leave someone else to provide the correct figures
      merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Originally posted by Zero Liability View Post
        What's membership got to do with it? Means diddly squat if next to no one votes for you, and very few voting intention polls put the Greens above 10%. Though I see no reason the SNP or Greens should be excluded, however much I'd like to see and hear less of Bennett.
        In the European election, more people voted UKIP or Green than voted Lib Dem.

Cameron doesn't want to debate against UKIP. MIlliband doesn't want to debate against the Greens. Clegg just wants someone to see that he's still there doing something.
        Best Forum Advisor 2014
        Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
        Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

Originally posted by Batcher View Post
          The SNP have 6 MPs at the moment and the Greens 1, UKIP only have 2 because they jumped from the Tories and took their followers with them. Sweden has TV debates with 8-10 people on them so it can be done.
          The UKIP ones put their seats up for re-election so that's hardly only reason, and more are predicted to come. Either way, I agree, I think just having Cameron and Miliband would be rather boring.

Comment

There is a debate with the SNP

BBC News - BBC invites Scottish party leaders to general election debate

I don't see the problem here

Most of the country can't vote for them so they're pretty irrelevant to anyone in England, Wales and NI.

They can debate in Scotland.
            I'm alright Jack

Comment

Originally posted by eek View Post
              Hang on is that 93,000 SNP member count correct...... It's not but I'll leave someone else to provide the correct figures
              It is correct. How can you say it's not when even the opposition parties in Scotland don't challenge it and it's the figure that is mentioned in the MSM in reports?

Here's Nicola announcing the latest figure at the Hydro back in November:

Comment

Originally posted by BlasterBates View Post
                There is a debate with the SNP

BBC News - BBC invites Scottish party leaders to general election debate

I don't see the problem here

Most of the country can't vote for them so they're pretty irrelevant to anyone in England, Wales and NI.

They can debate in Scotland.
                I don't think they will be irrelevant if they start voting en bloc with the Greens and Plaid in Westminster on only English matters? I'm sure a lot of English voters would be interested in what they stand for if they have enough MPs to hold a balance of power.

Getting rid of a useless Trident system and use the money to protect people in poverty and the NHS might have a lot of support in England. Alex Salmond always got a good reaction when he appeared on Question Time.

Comment

Why does the opinion of someone who lives in UK matter for any EU election?
                  HTH,

Frau Merkel
                  "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

Comment

They will only support Labour and will only support them if Trident is cancelled. At that point I think you will find the SNP won't be part of any balance of power just a few more people sat on the opposition benches.
                    The only reason SNP will win a majority in Scotland is because Labour abandoned everyone else. And you now think the same party will use Labour? dear me.
                    "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

Comment

It's wrong, now past 100,000 members

Comment

Working...
                      X