• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Permies constantly joking about contractors being rich

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

You could ditch the gig early?
    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

You're always alluding to how high your day rate is (even in the opening post). I imagine if you're the same in the office, they would get pissed off.

Comment

I personally never came across such stuff although on one contract I was on, some scottish inadequate permie would always make comments in a loud voice to another contractor on the team.

Who the **** cares? Really? As a contractor, you're not paid to be offended by these people. Did psychocandy start this thread?
        I couldn't give two fornicators! Yes, really!

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
          You could ditch the gig early?
          With an attitude like that, are you sure you're cut out to be a contractor, NLUK ?

Comment

Originally posted by mudskipper View Post
            You're always alluding to how high your day rate is (even in the opening post). I imagine if you're the same in the office, they would get pissed off.
            WMSS

I don't discuss rates with anyone in the office or anywhere else TBH. I think the only person (apart from Mrs P) who knows is a good mate who earns about the same as a permie. Maybe a little more.

The few times anyone at client co were to comment about contractors rates I just brush it off with "That's what the consultancy/agency gets".

Comment

I would just laugh and tell them I wish it was true. If they find out standard day rates I explain that whilst the rates seem impressive, I don't get to keep all of it and it also has to take into account that in a few months time (or at any time in between due to having no employment protection) I might not have a job and might not get another one for months. So although it looks awesome on paper there are plenty of drawbacks which need to be examined.
              "He's actually ripped" - Jared Padalecki

https://youtu.be/l-PUnsCL590?list=PL...dNeCyi9a&t=615

Comment

Originally posted by Pondlife View Post
                WMSS

I don't discuss rates with anyone in the office or anywhere else TBH. I think the only person (apart from Mrs P) who knows is a good mate who earns about the same as a permie. Maybe a little more.

The few times anyone at client co were to comment about contractors rates I just brush it off with "That's what the consultancy/agency gets".
                On this project, we can all find out what each other is on, because there is a field in the database called "Contractor Rate" and the people I work with all have access to the system to find out.

I don't feel guilty for the amount that I charge - the client offered the rate, and I accepted it. But it's not something that I openly discuss with anyone.

My wife knows how much I'm on. Some of my mates know how much my first contract was worth, because they asked to check I wasn't getting shafted as a newbie. A good friend of mine knows that he charges more than I do for the same kind of role, and I know I charge significantly more than one of the useless twunts I worked with on the last project (who was overpaid at that price).

If anyone says anything (and a few permies have done in the past), I just smile and say "don't you believe it". In my last permie place, the IT director took me to one side and asked who was driving the Aston Martin, because "we're obviously paying them too much". Even though I was permie, I "politely" explained to him that (a) we weren't paying too much; (b) he'd had the car for a bit, so it was a sign that his previous clients might have done; (c) he'd paid for it because he'd just had an insurance payout having been diagnosed with a terminal illness.

That shut him up a bit
                Best Forum Advisor 2014
                Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
                Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

Originally posted by TheFaQQer View Post
                  the IT director took me to one side and asked who was driving the Aston Martin
                  My GP drives an Aston Martin, I was walking into the Health Centre one day and saw it in the car park, the number plate was the same as his first name and as it's a foreign name it couldn't really have been anyone else's. So if anyone complains about how much contractors earn tell them you're on a pittance compared to your local GP
                  • The meaning of life is to give life meaning
                  • Worrying about tomorrow spoils today

Comment

I just treat it as banter, most of the time they just assume contractors are being paid megabucks.

If someone does come across as being resentful, I offer to sit down with them to help them go contracting. I'll help them setting up their company and talk through all the legal requirements, I'll tell them which critical illness cover, life assurance cover, pension, etc will be best, and also how much they can expect to pay for Professional Indemnity, Employers Liability and Public Liability insurances. And obviously they'll need to take out insurance for IR35 not to mention they'll need a warchest for long term bench time.

All done with a serious look on my face

Comment

I've never had this at work, but when I got my latest contract, which is the highest rate I've had, I told a friend who asked me what the day rate was. Without thinking, it just slipped out. It's the only time I've ever told anyone.

To my knowledge he's never told anyone else, but occasionally, when the price of something is mentioned in company he'll pipe up with "Well, now you're on megabucks, it's nothing for you".

I just smile and agree. There's no other way to respond.

Comment

Working...
                      X