• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Permies constantly joking about contractors being rich"

Collapse

• stek
    replied
    Originally posted by psychocandy View Post
    Seriously? Not that I know permie salaries generally but everywhere I've worked I've got the impressionn that Im taking home at least double what the permies are getting.
    I was out with my permie Oracle DBA mate who's thinking of going contracting but has been thinking of going contracting since I've known him (10 years) and his take home is similar to mine, mine is the optimum sal/div without going into the higher bracket.

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied
    Originally posted by PerfectStorm View Post
    It gets better... word is we get a £600 raise in April!
    Per day? Not bad, I guess.

Leave a comment:

• psychocandy
    replied
    Originally posted by ELBBUBKUNPS View Post
    Does not happen at my place as most the permies are on more than the contractors even if the contractor is outside of IR35.
    Seriously? Not that I know permie salaries generally but everywhere I've worked I've got the impressionn that Im taking home at least double what the permies are getting.

Leave a comment:

• DimPrawn
    replied
    Originally posted by Avalonia View Post
    The problem would probably be due to you having "bantered" with them.
    We are contractors we are the elite, we invoice and then ***** off we don't fraternize with lazy slacker permies.
    ^ This

Never reply, just sneer and walk off.

Leave a comment:

• Avalonia
    replied
    LOL, i've done this when permies have been having a dig
    The problem would probably be due to you having "bantered" with them.
    We are contractors we are the elite, we invoice and then ***** off we don't fraternize with lazy slacker permies.

Leave a comment:

• Zero Liability
    replied
    Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
    LOL, i've done this when permies have been having a dig.. 'Yeah but I have to £16K VAT a year before I even look at my income' normally shuts them up... No one yet has clicked
    The thing is, if they have the skill set, they can easily do it themselves. When it's not just idle banter, if you point out all the risks and responsibilities that go with it, very few would still want to do it. It takes a particular mindset, and many of them value the security and perks of permanent employment and employment rights conferred upon them by law, so no point in complaining.

Leave a comment:

• Whorty
    replied
    Originally posted by d000hg View Post
    I think your company has accurately appraised what you're worth
    I was concerned I might be overpaid .... but I feel much happier now

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied
    Originally posted by Whorty View Post
    I'm on minimum wage myCo just doesn't pay me much ... hardly even incurs income tax or NI
    I think your company has accurately appraised what you're worth

Leave a comment:

• northernladuk
    replied
    I politely tell people that it's not worth that much, you have to pay 3 kinds of tax that they won't (corporation, VAT and dividend) on a quarterly or annual basis, and that I could be told to leave tomorrow with no recourse. That you have to have an accountant - and a limited company that you're the director of. And a business bank account. And indemnity insurances. And that if they're still interested after that, that I'll happily discuss it over a coffee.
    LOL, i've done this when permies have been having a dig.. 'Yeah but I have to £16K VAT a year before I even look at my income' normally shuts them up... No one yet has clicked

Leave a comment:

• jamesbrown
    replied
    Originally posted by TheFaQQer View Post
    Is the NI rebate still in place for next year? If it isn't, then it's probably worth dropping back down again to below the point at which salary attracts NI.
    Yes, I think it's pretty much indefinite, i.e. until removed:

https://www.gov.uk/employment-allowance

IIRC, they extended the remit in the Autumn Statement (to care/support workers), so it's definitely ongoing.

Leave a comment:

• mudskipper
    replied
    That's a 6% payrise - better than most permies. I presume you'll pass the increased overhead onto the client.

Leave a comment:

• Whorty
    replied
    I'm on minimum wage myCo just doesn't pay me much ... hardly even incurs income tax or NI

Leave a comment:

• TheFaQQer
    replied
    Originally posted by Bunk View Post
    A pay-cut? My boss is a right b*****d
    I've met your boss.

You're right

Leave a comment:

• Bunk
    replied
    Originally posted by TheFaQQer View Post
    Is the NI rebate still in place for next year? If it isn't, then it's probably worth dropping back down again to below the point at which salary attracts NI.
    A pay-cut? My boss is a right b*****d

Leave a comment:

• TheFaQQer
    replied

Leave a comment:

Working...
X