• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Jonah

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

'We trained hard, but it seemed that every time we were beginning to form up into teams we would be reorganised.
    I was to learn later in life that we tend to meet any new situation by reorganising: and a wonderful method it can be for creating the illusion of progress, while producing confusion, inefficiency and demoralisation'

Caius Petronius-Roman Consul AD60
    That brings back memories. There was a poster with that on it at a place I used to work. Was taken over by a Frog company.
    bloggoth

If everything isn't black and white, I say, 'Why the hell not?'
    John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

Comment

Originally posted by EternalOptimist View Post
      I've seen a little bit of this, but not as much as you or this fellow

'We trained hard, but it seemed that every time we were beginning to form up into teams we would be reorganised.
      I was to learn later in life that we tend to meet any new situation by reorganising: and a wonderful method it can be for creating the illusion of progress, while producing confusion, inefficiency and demoralisation'

Caius Petronius-Roman Consul AD60
      "this fellow" in that case being a bored British classics graduate in, some army camp at the end of WW2 or shortly thereafter, and fed up with being shunted around apparently pointlessly.

Petronius never (in his surviving writing anyway) said anything like the above. It's like those fake motivational Einstein quotes that adorn the walls at clientco, such as "Creativity is intelligence having fun".
      Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

Comment

Originally posted by OwlHoot View Post
        "this fellow" in that case being a bored British classics graduate in, some army camp at the end of WW2 or shortly thereafter, and fed up with being shunted around apparently pointlessly.

Petronius never (in his surviving writing anyway) said anything like the above. It's like those fake motivational Einstein quotes that adorn the walls at clientco, such as "Creativity is intelligence having fun".
        Love a motivational poster...

When freedom comes along, don't PISH in the water supply.....

Comment

Originally posted by OwlHoot View Post

(\__/)
          (>'.'<)
          ("")("") Born to Drink. Forced to Work

Comment

Originally posted by Tasslehoff View Post
            I have had 4 contracts now and each and every one has had an element of staff redundancy

1st one they canned the entire consultancy and brought it in house
            2nd one new Head of IT came in and canned all contractors
            3rd one two company's merge and all contractors put on notice
            4th one (current) all permies being canned and dev functions being outsourced (I am helping with transition)

Is this normal and part and parcel of the contractor lot or “YANCOTBAC”
            I've never seen any of that in any of my contracts. (seen redundancies a few times in my permie days) so I guess we are extremes at either end of the spectrum.

Comment

The work I do often result in redundancies as this is what they hire me for

Comment

Originally posted by zeitghost
                Normally anywhere I work just shuts down.

Now that's what I call being a proper Jonah.

I bring my own whale.
                Is that because all the employees leave because they have been probed?

Comment

Originally posted by zeitghost
                  Mysteriously, some are never ever seen again. but the flavour lingers
                  FTFY
                  Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Working...
                  X