• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Muslim kids ‘Pork or nothing’

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

If it really is 'Pork or nothing' as opposed to 'non-Halal meat or nothing', then I think it's pretty prejudiced but then that's France for you. However, some of the responses from long-established members on here and you wonder why some of the Muslims don't want to integrate with such folk.

Comment

I worked with a Muslim guy who would never eat pork, beef or lamb in a resturant. He didn't drink any alcohol. But that was the extent of his adherence. He would eat chicken, oysters and fish quite happily.
      Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Originally posted by RockyBalboa View Post
        If it really is 'Pork or nothing' as opposed to 'non-Halal meat or nothing', then I think it's pretty prejudiced but then that's France for you. However, some of the responses from long-established members on here and you wonder why some of the Muslims don't want to integrate with such folk.
        How can this be considered prejudiced? I have strong objections to halal meat however, when I go to Muslim countries I can't object and insist on non-halal nor can I insist on eating pork. I have to accept the traditions and laws of the host country therefore so should Muslims.
        "A people that elect corrupt politicians, imposters, thieves and traitors are not victims, but accomplices," George Orwell

Comment

Originally posted by Paddy View Post
          How can this be considered prejudiced? I have strong objections to halal meat however, when I go to Muslim countries I can't object and insist on non-halal nor can I insist on eating pork. I have to accept the traditions and laws of the host country therefore so should Muslims.
          It's not tradition or law though, is it. 'Pork or nothing' is just spitefulness.

Comment

Originally posted by SpontaneousOrder View Post
            It's not tradition or law though, is it. 'Pork or nothing' is just spitefulness.
            Quite. Secularism is the principle of separation of religion and state, it does not mean banning all personal choice based on religion, provided it is harmless and not imposed on others. Not as if there is some huge extra costs involved here either.
            bloggoth

If everything isn't black and white, I say, 'Why the hell not?'
            John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

Comment

Originally posted by xoggoth View Post
              Quite. Secularism is the principle of separation of religion and state, it does not mean banning all personal choice based on religion, provided it is harmless and not imposed on others. Not as if there is some huge extra costs involved here either.
              So how would you describe SAudi in their treatment of Christians?

Comment

Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
                As France is a Christian country I don't see why they should...
                France is an extremely secular country.

Isn't that just the headline?

But the nothing in this case is "no meat". One meal is provided to school kids; no choice. Your kid either eats what the school provides or you make alternative arrangements. Children of vegetarians (or those who are vegetarian) aren't being offered alternatives. Presumably if they serve pork on Friday all the Catholic kids will go hungry?
                Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
                  Saudi isn't secular.

Comment

Can't see how that question has any relevance to what I or SO said. Care to explain?

Or are you suggesting we should take petty revenge on all Muslims here for what Islamic countries do? We need to come out of the dream world about Islam, tackle Islamism and stop any more migration to the west until it moderates. However, it is counterproductive to hit out at ordinary Muslims for what are relatively harmless beliefs. That sort of thing just increases extremism.
                    Last edited by xoggoth; 13 December 2014, 19:26.
                    bloggoth

If everything isn't black and white, I say, 'Why the hell not?'
                    John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

Comment

Originally posted by xoggoth View Post
                      Can't see how that question has any relevance to what I or SO said. Care to explain?

Or are you suggesting we should take petty revenge on all Muslims here for what Islamic countries do? We need to come out of the dream world about Islam, tackle Islamism and stop any more migration to the west until it moderates. However, it is counterproductive to hit out at ordinary Muslims for what are relatively harmless beliefs. That sort of thing just increases extremism.
                      Sorry - I have been married too long. I was adopting the woman's trick of just posting random stuff - its very annoying isn't it?

Its the double standards that get me. The UK seems happy to let any immigrant come to the UK and tell the UK how to behave. But in other countries, people from the UK are expected to adhere to local laws and standards.

When in Rome do as the Romans do should be the standard.

Have you ever noticed that Hindis have no issue assimilating into the UK. But with Muslims there is always something wrong.

Comment

Working...
                      X